• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some recon on RI ...

PA Highlander

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the SAR training I was to be taking in MS in Oct is now going to be in RI in Dec. I need anyone up that way to let me know of cheap lodging within a short drive of Warwick RI. The class will be Dec 8-12. Since all my training is paid for by me, I need to minimize cost as much as possible. Gas alone for the XJ is going to be expensive.

While I'm there I will have all my evenings free, so I could meet up with some NAC folks while there. Either post, PM, or email me if you have any info or would like to meet up.

Thanks!

there's no such thing as "cheap" ANYWHERE in RI.

I can take a look around for ya and see what's up though.

and of course there are a couple RI guys around.

CheapXJ said:
there's no such thing as "cheap" ANYWHERE in RI.

I can take a look around for ya and see what's up though.

and of course there are a couple RI guys around.

I've noticed that there is nothing cheap in RI! So far the cheapest hotel I've found is a Motel6 for $50/night. I'd like to meet up with some folks while I'm up there since I'll have evenings to kill.

The problem you're facing is that T.F. Greene Airport, which is Rhode Island's primary regional airport, is in Warwick. So all the motels in the area charge airport hotel prices.

Eagle said:
The problem you're facing is that T.F. Greene Airport, which is Rhode Island's primary regional airport, is in Warwick. So all the motels in the area charge airport hotel prices.

I'm not against driving a little every day to the class, if the savings on the hotel more than counters the cost of gas. I'm used to a 30 min drive to work everyday anyways. I figured the airport was causing the rates to be high.

CheapXJ said:
well....

I've got a couch, and I'm right off exit 23 on I95. ;)

That's probably the best rate you're going to find.

You could check out the Hi-Way Motel in Johnstown. My AAA guide book is a few years old, so I won't tell you what it says the rate is because I'm sure it's higher now.

Check out hotwire.com and priceline.com. I stay at 4-star hotels in Houston for $50-$60/night that normally charge $269/night. I haven't found it to be as good in other locations, but always worth looking. Best rates are found a few days before the trip starts.

Also, use hotwire to give you a maximum price to bid on using Priceline -- in other words, when Hotwire says that they will give you a 3-star hotel for $X/night, bid for a 3-star hotel in the same area on priceline for ($X-$15)/night.

Good luck, I use priceline or hotwire almost weekly for my travels. -SNB

Bill, you might also call a couple of the "moderate" motels and ask if they'll give you a break for a weekly rent. I doubt any of them will be at capacity during the time you'll be there, so they might be willing to cut a deal for an extended stay.

SNB said:
Check out hotwire.com and priceline.com. I stay at 4-star hotels in Houston for $50-$60/night that normally charge $269/night. I haven't found it to be as good in other locations, but always worth looking. Best rates are found a few days before the trip starts.

Also, use hotwire to give you a maximum price to bid on using Priceline -- in other words, when Hotwire says that they will give you a 3-star hotel for $X/night, bid for a 3-star hotel in the same area on priceline for ($X-$15)/night.

Good luck, I use priceline or hotwire almost weekly for my travels. -SNB

I wondered how well priceline and such worked! I'll give that a good look. I'm not used to making extended reservations, a campground is more my style (not in RI in Dec though :eek: ). Thanks!

Have you called the Navy Lodge for a price yet. It would be a 45-50 minute drive from Groton, CT to Warwick, RI. If I had an extra room in the house, you would be more than welcome to stay with my family. Here's the address and phone number:

Navy Lodge-Navy Exchange _
77 Dewey Ave, Groton, CT 06340
Phone: (860) 446-1160

If you want, give a call while you're here.

ET2(SS) Erik Silfven
401-596-8359
401-935-7302

There's also a truck stop that I think has a small motel right at the Connecticut/Rhode Island line, and another truck stop at the third or so exit into RI on I-95. However, from either one to Warwick at morning commuter hour it's going to be more than a 45 minute drive, and for a lad from the hills of western PA it'll aoso be massive culture shock. Not 45 minutes of "driving," more like 15 minutes of driving followed by 45 minutes of sitting in a fluid parking lot watching a zillion idiots all try to get killed so they can cheat their way one car length ahead of someone else.

I'd think long and hard about CheapXJ's sofa. :) From there to Warwick will be mostly a "reverse" commute -- he's on the north side of downtown, and Warwick is south of Providence.

I've finally set firm plans ... I now have a reservation at the Howard Johnson's in Middletown for Sun-Fri. I used expedia.com and got a real good deal. I will be arriving in RI late afternoon or early evening on Sunday 12/7 and departing Friday evening. I hope to meet up with some of the locals one evening while there for a meet and greet.

CheapXJ - sent you an email
Trailbst - ex-Navy here ('89-'91 ET3), look forward to meeting you
Eagle- hope to see you again while in the area

As it gets closer to that week let me know what evening would be best to have the RI/CT/MA meets PA meet and greet ... also any recommended location?

wheeling??

Hey Gang,

I up for taking a day off from work that week to go break somthing on my Jeep!

Lets pick a day for a Chicken Run?

Re: wheeling??

UltraRobXJ said:
Hey Gang,

I up for taking a day off from work that week to go break somthing on my Jeep!

Lets pick a day for a Chicken Run?

After reading about the chicken at that run, I'm game for at least at meet and greet over some chicken :D I've got class every day I'm in RI from 7 am to 4:30 pm in Warwick. Maybe grab some chicken and a little night wheeling? It's always easier to break stuff at night ;)

Back