• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler

4ejsmith

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a 6 pass trans cooler with fan from a NAXJA member and looking for suggestions on placement? In front, under jeep in cargo area??????????
thanks. thanks

Will it fit under the radiator, inside the front crossmember behind the bumper?
Similar to this from Gojeep:
TaurusFan28.jpg

Here's his install writeup.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoCooler.htm

that wouldn't work if you had a steering box brace, which i imagine most of us go facts folks have.
I think he does have a stearing box brace on that jeep. His is a RHD(look close at the pic, you can see the front of the box) On our jeeps, the cooler would have to be shifted to the right side.

I think he does have a stearing box brace on that jeep. His is a RHD(look close at the pic, you can see the front of the box) On our jeeps, the cooler would have to be shifted to the right side.

oops i meant go fast...

good observations on the right hand drive box, it still looks like the brace would run right through where the cooler fits. I've been thinking about drilling some holes with a hole saw into the stock skid front plate and mounting a fan/cooler unit to the back side of that.

Here's the like where he fitted his brace(home made):
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSteeringBrace.htm

And if you look at the article on the Trans cooler, in this photo:
TaurusFan07.jpg

you can see a bar running behind the front cross member above the anti-sway bar.
Here's another shot:
TaurusFan69.jpg

where you can see it bolted under the sway bar bracket, and running across.

I don't know if it would fit with a manufactured steering box brace, but it fits with his home brew brace.

EDIT: I can't take credit for noticing the RHD setup. He goes out of his way to mention the differences between his Aus. version and the US version in all of his write ups.

ya good view, my shotty rusty's brace that fit with some tampering wouldnt fit with that set up, i can always adapt like gojeeper i guess.

'Looks a little big to get behind the cross member. How big is it? (L x W)

It is 15 x 10 and 4 inches thick, 10 inch fan. Perm Cool. If i wasnt going to run my stock bumper It would fit nicely behind a skid plate with dimple holes. But i want to keep the Jeepspeed look . I would run it in the back cargo area to keep clean and protected but the heat issue??/

Oh well, so much for the crossmember mount.

I saw a Jeepspeed that had the T-cooler mounted in the rear window location, with the fan blowing the hot air out of the rig. They'd replaced a window with a piece of Polycarbonate, and mounted the cooler to that. But that's probably not really practical for a daily driver.

As long as you don't play in the mud, you could put it under the truck. With it's own fan, airflow isn't an issue. Maybe behind the transfer case on the drivers side?(keep it away from the exhaust) It would have to be protected thrown debris/rocks etc.

I used to have a large one with a fan mounted horizontally behind the lower core support. I don't know if I have any pics, but I made a bracket that went all the way across from the sway bar mounts (frame rail to frame rail) and attached the front to the stock front skid plate studs. The fan was on the bottom and was a puller fan.

I put a fan thermostat kit on the cooler with an indicator light on my dash. The thermostat was set to come on at 180*. The only time the fan ever kicked on was when I was wheeling in in the rocks/Moab etc. and would only run for about 20 seconds at a time with about a minute between cycles. This lead me to believe the cooler was working well and the tranny was happy.

I was always concerned with bashing the cooler and fan, but it survived many wheeling trips to the Hammers and others without a scratch.

-Dan

edit: found a pic...

susp3.jpg
susp4.jpg

Last edited:
i like that above, and if you had a stock front skid..it would probably well protected

I was having terminal engine overheating issues, so I took the radiator out of the loop for the trans cooling, and moved the axillary cooler from in front of the radiator, so I wasn't pre-heating the air before it got to the radiator.

Before my cooler relocation, while on the Dusy-Ershim trail, I overheated the trans really badly, and ended up replacing the tranny shortly thereafter.

-Dan

Mine is mounted in the same place the first person suggest and I have a steering box brace. I have a heat sink type cooler though. Measures about 15" long x 3" diameter.

You can see it a little in this picture.
photo-63.jpg

photo-61.jpg

Back