• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPNF Snow Run: 12/15

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I had the day off today, so I decided to head up to go find some snow. A sort of pre-run for the upcoming snow wheeling season.

Heading up FS42 out of Sunset Falls.
DSCN2273.jpg

DSCN2274.jpg

Headed up the 4211 to skip all the potholes, and chewed up snow from the locals. Got tired of one tire fire, so I locked the hubs in here.
DSCN2279.jpg

Came upon a torched truck. No idea what it was, or how long it's been there. Some people. :rolleyes:
DSCN2280.jpg

DSCN2282.jpg

Progress was good as the snow kept getting deeper. Still hadn't aired down yet.
DSCN2283.jpg

DSCN2285.jpg

Got to the 53rd intersection, and decided to air down. I only went to 10 to leave a safety factor in case things unexpectedly got interesting later. After airing down I turned the lockers off, and ran open/open pretty much the rest of the day. The snow was packing great!
DSCN2286.jpg

I continued over the 53, and then joined up on the 42 heading toward Cougar Rock. Once I got past all the torn up tracks from the locals, I got into the good untouched stuff.
DSCN2290.jpg

Reached the high point of the 42, and began dropping down. This is where all tracks stopped and I was now breaking trail. As much fun as it was I had to keep reality in check being solo. Still open/open.
DSCN2293.jpg

The 42 leveled out, and began edging near the ridge side. This section is notoriously drifted over, and sure enough there were already some small drifts forming. With both lockers on I was able to keep breaking trail, but I wasn't up for crossing the drifts (~4') solo.
DSCN2295.jpg

With only a few corners left till Cougar Rock, I turned around. Ran open/open the whole way out.
DSCN2297.jpg

DSCN2301.jpg

Whachu lookin at?
DSCN2304.jpg

Tossed some air back in the tires.
DSCN2306.jpg

The Lewis was looking pretty healthy after all the rain. I was amazed at the high water mark on the banks, and the amount of jammed up logs and debris along the sides driving out.
DSCN2309.jpg

Awesome day in the mountains! Can't wait to get back up there after some more snow, and with some back-up NWC'ers. :cool:

Dangerous man. Look at that yotard who broke his ish up near Timothy, went solo and Spent the night with his girl and 2 lil kids. Don't need to see your ass on local news. Not saying you are in the same league as the flat bill yota crowd...but damn man, that much snow...2 rigs minimum. You arent an idiot so I don't need to preach to the choir, but this gives people a false sense of ability solo. Yes YOU made it out, but what about the next guy who thinks he can. Jus sayin.

I was hoping I'd get this response. I completely agree with you! Rule #1, don't wheel alone.

I won't list my reasons for doing so (excuses?), but in the end it was my call. Just know, I wasn't in a pair of Nike's with only a Snickers bar, and no info relayed on where I would be. ;)

The open/open part of this story has me itching for the next opportunity!

What's the weekend schedule like?

Dangerous man. Look at that yotard who broke his ish up near Timothy, went solo and Spent the night with his girl and 2 lil kids. Don't need to see your ass on local news. Not saying you are in the same league as the flat bill yota crowd...but damn man, that much snow...2 rigs minimum. You arent an idiot so I don't need to preach to the choir, but this gives people a false sense of ability solo. Yes YOU made it out, but what about the next guy who thinks he can. Jus sayin.
Josh I had your response on my mind today, and I totally get the public service announcement you were trying to get across for the dumb f*cks. However I feel like something needs to be said for venturing outdoors alone. This isn't directed at you at all, just on the subject in general.

Here's my rant. Just because some Prius driving mushroom pickers, or ill-prepared Yotards aren't responsible enough to enjoy the outdoors during winter, doesn't mean my ability to do so should have to suffer (kind of sounds like another current issue going on :rolleyes:). Why is it looked down upon to venture out by yourself? It's becoming quite common for people to look down upon outdoor recreation in fear of "getting lost" and ending up on the news. Seriously, I've had this conversation with more than one person. Come on people, sack up, and take some responsibility and venture out in the world. Snow wheeling alone is no different than going hunting by yourself, back packing by yourself, or even on a day hike by yourself. It's a high risk activity, but people enjoy these activities solo all the time. Yes, a few bottom feeders do wind up suffering for their lack of preparedness, and sadly they ruin it for the rest of us.

When I left my place yesterday I knew fully well I might not return if something were to go wrong. That's why I packed my toasty sleeping bag, plenty of food, and snow gear. I carry snow shoes to get around outside the rig, snow shovel(s) to dig, two forms of radio, and all the usual wheeling essentials. When service became available I'd update my dad on the conditions and my location via text (~every hour), and made sure to keep reality in check. Guess what? I didn't end up on KGW news! Everything went as planned because I was prepared and knew what I was getting into. I had an awesome day in the outdoors enjoying my public lands.

The problem with society today is that people are becoming incredibly domesticated. Sitting on the couch vegging out on football is about the most excitement some people see in their lives. They believe in all the hype the media surrounds them with, including all the "breaking news" stories regarding search and rescue efforts to find missing/stranded people. What they don't tell you is how these people almost always made a poor decisions (following GPS), and ventured out ill prepared for the circumstances (tennis shoes/jeans). Common sense is shockingly hard to come by these days. I seriously worry about societies future, because at this rate I'll be applying for a "group supervised recreation forest pass" next winter just to enjoy my right to use my public lands.

Now, would I recommend doing what I did to all of you. No, maybe a select few, but snow is tricky and there are a lot of risks involved. My advice to the snow rookies would be to venture out on some NWC snow runs, and learn the basics.

rant/ !!!1

The open/open part of this story has me itching for the next opportunity!

What's the weekend schedule like?
Seriously, I was amazed at just how easily I got around open/open. If I did get out of the tracks, I just bumped the rail into 1, and used the torque to get back on top. I think you'll do just fine in the right conditions. :cool:

I might know of something going on this weekend. ;)

Josh I had your response on my mind today, and I totally get the public service announcement you were trying to get across for the dumb f*cks. However I feel like something needs to be said for venturing outdoors alone. This isn't directed at you at all, just on the subject in general.

Here's my rant. Just because some Prius driving mushroom pickers, or ill-prepared Yotards aren't responsible enough to enjoy the outdoors during winter, doesn't mean my ability to do so should have to suffer (kind of sounds like another current issue going on :rolleyes:). Why is it looked down upon to venture out by yourself? It's becoming quite common for people to look down upon outdoor recreation in fear of "getting lost" and ending up on the news. Seriously, I've had this conversation with more than one person. Come on people, sack up, and take some responsibility and venture out in the world. Snow wheeling alone is no different than going hunting by yourself, back packing by yourself, or even on a day hike by yourself. It's a high risk activity, but people enjoy these activities solo all the time. Yes, a few bottom feeders do wind up suffering for their lack of preparedness, and sadly they ruin it for the rest of us.

When I left my place yesterday I knew fully well I might not return if something were to go wrong. That's why I packed my toasty sleeping bag, plenty of food, and snow gear. I carry snow shoes to get around outside the rig, snow shovel(s) to dig, two forms of radio, and all the usual wheeling essentials. When service became available I'd update my dad on the conditions and my location via text (~every hour), and made sure to keep reality in check. Guess what? I didn't end up on KGW news! Everything went as planned because I was prepared and knew what I was getting into. I had an awesome day in the outdoors enjoying my public lands.

The problem with society today is that people are becoming incredibly domesticated. Sitting on the couch vegging out on football is about the most excitement some people see in their lives. They believe in all the hype the media surrounds them with, including all the "breaking news" stories regarding search and rescue efforts to find missing/stranded people. What they don't tell you is how these people almost always made a poor decisions (following GPS), and ventured out ill prepared for the circumstances (tennis shoes/jeans). Common sense is shockingly hard to come by these days. I seriously worry about societies future, because at this rate I'll be applying for a "group supervised recreation forest pass" next winter just to enjoy my right to use my public lands.

Now, would I recommend doing what I did to all of you. No, maybe a select few, but snow is tricky and there are a lot of risks involved. My advice to the snow rookies would be to venture out on some NWC snow runs, and learn the basics.

rant/ !!!1

Seriously, I was amazed at just how easily I got around open/open. If I did get out of the tracks, I just bumped the rail into 1, and used the torque to get back on top. I think you'll do just fine in the right conditions. :cool:

Spot freaking on!! It's true, too many are losing common sense and many don't learn to do things on their own in a smart/prepared way.

Buuuut what do you know of that's going on this weekend? Spill it lol I'm putting in a new(used) driver side axle shaft tomorrow and I'm itching to get in the snow

rant/ !!!1

Man I take that comment very personally. I pick mushrooms, but we have a hyundai...so I guess I'm good...right?lol. But yeah... I never had you grouped with the mental minorities, statement was only out of concern over the everlasting what if of the unprepared...

If I only wheeled when I had a group, I'd only wheel 3X each year.
#nutuporshutup
#goprepared
Thats cool, most of it I assume is during spring/summer, without 2-3' of snow. Being prepared is one thing, we can all stock our rigs, but what if? Like the red zj last year that slid off the road, by himself, he wouldn't have gotten out. Or if you took that turn a little too fast, slid down an embankment, broke a leg, back etc... That "preparedness" would only take you so far. Someone might see dustins rig, do no research on it, think, shit I got same lift and tirez...kids lets go. Then S&R get involved because of someones assumptions that his rig will travel the same. Conditions...dustin may have been in the most epic wheelin snow, mad traction, then next guy goes to same spot with limited exp or capabilities, snow is slush, or a crust of deceiving ice. Boom, stuck bla bla F'n bla. Nut up or shut up only goes so far when your 3 year old is freezing and you have no answer. Take it as you will comment how you want, but it is imperative people don't get a false sense of hope when clamoring into the woods, snow or not. Shit, we have experienced hikers climb mountains, fully prepared, and die due to the unforeseen.

I understand your perspective, But it's not anyone's responsibility but their own to make solid choices and hold themselves accountable.

I used to adventure alone often. I've been rescued by Hood river search and rescue in a snowcat way up the back side of mt.hood with a couple family members in a 2wd s10 after a night of bad choices..

My experiences have shaped my decisions.. But honestly, I support solo adventure.. As humans, We've been doing it since the beginning of time

So the only thing I want to say is I go solo all the time I go prepared all the time. I agree with Torx on this one 100%.

Oh and don't ever go with out a personal invite ! My snow bug has hit full force!

Dang. I also did a solo snow wheeling run that day. I should've checked here first.

Great pictures by the way.

I let my girlfriend know where I was going before I left. Got in contact with her as soon as I was back in phone service. I had tools, shovel, food, water, sleeping bag, and clothing with me. I also only went as far as I was comfortable going that day. I didn't leave my house until close to noon. Had I started earlier in the day I probably would've covered 25 miles in the snow. Instead I covered 7 miles. I would've liked to have gone farther that day. And I probably could've gone farther without any issues. But I chose to use my head and natural instincts. So I turned around when I did and made it home in time for dinner that evening.

I would never recommend for a person to go wheeling alone. But I understand if a person does. I wouldn't go run the crushers by myself. But go put around on cedar tree, at Ladee, or in Yacolt burn. Sure, I would do that. Go out, have fun, use your head. And my driver seat is a lot more comfortable then my couch.

Dang. I also did a solo snow wheeling run that day. I should've checked here first.

Great pictures by the way.

I let my girlfriend know where I was going before I left. Got in contact with her as soon as I was back in phone service. I had tools, shovel, food, water, sleeping bag, and clothing with me. I also only went as far as I was comfortable going that day. I didn't leave my house until close to noon. Had I started earlier in the day I probably would've covered 25 miles in the snow. Instead I covered 7 miles. I would've liked to have gone farther that day. And I probably could've gone farther without any issues. But I chose to use my head and natural instincts. So I turned around when I did and made it home in time for dinner that evening.

I would never recommend for a person to go wheeling alone. But I understand if a person does. I wouldn't go run the crushers by myself. But go put around on cedar tree, at Ladee, or in Yacolt burn. Sure, I would do that. Go out, have fun, use your head. And my driver seat is a lot more comfortable then my couch.

Thanks for the new sig

Dustin is right on common since. This is the key word! Not very many possess common since any more. Everything has to be politically correct or happy go lucky and everyone wins a prize. Individualism is almost gone in our country. People need to stand up and take responsibility for them selves and quit taking the easy way out. Also quit making excuses when they do something wrong.

Not to long ago in history it was not uncommon for a horse drawn wagons with entire family's, would risk there lives doing the same thing.

For what? Freedom! Free from what? Free from what ever the hell you want to do! Americans are getting to soft! We need to buck up or shut up. Sad to say It seems like lately it's shut up.

We need people to stand up and take our country back!

Back