• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing a pop-up

Kevin O

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have a 99 xj with 80,xxx miles and I am wondering if I should-
1. Install airshocks
2.add-a-leaf
3.new leaf springs

The reason I ask is I have had some weight in the back in the past and the rear end sagged pretty bad.
I just don't want to get head out for camping season with major sag. The jeep sits pretty level unloaded.
thanks,
Kevin

I recommend adding a leaf to the leaf pack from another stock set. I have a 92 XJ that used to bottom out when I had it loaded up. Every time I came to a bump in the road, including bridge joints, I would cringe in anticipation of the thump. I added an extra 2nd leaf from another set of springs and put on new shocks and have never had an issue with it since. Even fully loaded, it doesn't sag or bottom out, and it sits with a slight lift in the rear with no load. I'm going to do the same thing with my 98 XJ thanks to a set of leaves kindly provided by tyspier that I picked up earlier this week. Probably in the springtime, though, since the sag in the 98 is just beginning to show. But I can feel it in the way it takes bumps also--it's begging for that extra leaf.

With the 92, I removed both leaf packs from the vehicle, then removed the donor set from my 94 parts XJ. This time, I'm going to try to do the job without removing the main leaf, since I can think of no reason that one couldn't just unbolt the axle, cut the retaining bands off the pack, and then take off the center bolt. The only issue I can think of with this approach is release of pent up spring energy as you cut the bands. I guess I'll find out. Anyone else tried this on-vehicle approach?

I have feared snapping the leaf mounting bolts or spinning the weld nut on the unibody, Everytime I have done springs I've done them "on vehicle" I use two large c clamps to slowly release the springpack after cutting the center bolt. I'd try and re-use the bands that keep the packs together anbd straight

The bands on mine were rusty and crapped out. I bought a bolt-on style spring retaining plate to keep the pack aligned correctly once I had the "enhanced" pack bolted back together. I don't think there was enough tab on the original spring clips to close around the pack with an extra leaf in place in my case, so I just cut them off with an angle grinder rather than try to open them up. I bought new center bolts from Quadratec that I had to cut down to size. I think they also sold the clips, but since I hadn't ordered them at the same time and I just wanted to drive it again, I just bought the overpriced bolt-on retainers at Pep Boys. I found them in the budget body lift and add-a-leaf section. They're actually just squared off u-bolts going through a steel plate--kind of clunky but they do the job.

If it's a wheeler, do the AAL/shackle. If it's a DD that won't see the trail, do the airbags. I put bags on my Exploder to tow our popup, and they were perfect. Pump em up to level out the truck for towing, and deflate them for normal driving. An AAL may give you more rear lift than you want, giving you a drag car look unless you compensate the front with a coil spacer.

IllianaXJ said:
If it's a wheeler, do the AAL/shackle. If it's a DD that won't see the trail, do the airbags. I put bags on my Exploder to tow our popup, and they were perfect. Pump em up to level out the truck for towing, and deflate them for normal driving. An AAL may give you more rear lift than you want, giving you a drag car look unless you compensate the front with a coil spacer.

X2 on the bags. I went with the kit from airlift and have nothing bad to say about them other then the time to put them in at the campground no less lol. I hardly notice my double axle Jayco is back there. Although my 94 still scares me with the braking of the trailer and loaded Heep. Anyone know how to adjust a surge brake on a trailer?

Kevin O said:
Hello,
I have a 99 xj with 80,xxx miles and I am wondering if I should-
1. Install airshocks
2.add-a-leaf
3.new leaf springs

The reason I ask is I have had some weight in the back in the past and the rear end sagged pretty bad.
I just don't want to get head out for camping season with major sag. The jeep sits pretty level unloaded.
thanks,
Kevin
How about some info on what you plan to tow.Ive tried several ,finally settled on a fully self-contained that comes in about #2300.It has electric brakes which are a must at this weight and greater(I tried a 28" last year).

I towed my 3,000 lb Fleetwood popup when I first got my '99 XJ. It was stock iwth 74k miles and I was surprised at how saggy the original leafs were. I was nearly scraping the pavement as I drove.

I have towed several times with the same trailer after my moderate RE 3.5 inch lift with full leafs. I love the way it tows now and it barely drops an inch when I hook up my trailer.

Go for the new leafs if you can.

Hello,
First, thanks everyone for your response.
I will be towing a flagstaff pop-up with a tounge weight of 250 and a total weight of 2000lbs.
thanks,
Kevin

I installed an AAL into my lifted 97 for towing to prevent excess squat. Seems to work good for towing but with the stiffer rear end, offroad flex suffers a bit.
In my stock 97 I installed airbags and couldn't be happier with them. If there was a feasable way to put airbags on my lifted XJ that wouldn't affect wheel travel offroad I'd be all over it.

About 3000lbs (3500lb loaded max) with the pop-out camp trailer: (w/equalizer hitch)
DSC00177a.jpg

About 4300lbs with the boat:
DSC00191s.jpg

Back