• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side output exhaust??

Hal9000

NAXJA Forum User
Last wheeling trip my exhaust from the cat all the way back became damaged and had to be removed on the trail :\ , and now i am looking to put another exhaust on and was wondering what you guys thought about having the exhaust dump out the side infront of the rear passenger side wheel?? anyone do this yet??
I'm worried about rocks and such and coming down on top of the pipe if i have a side output.

And slo is anyone running with no pipe past the muffler?? just letting it dump underneath? are you getting any fumes in the cabin??

A friend of mine did this on his 4runner with no legal issues (live in VA). I would be concerned with hitting it on stuff though.
I had the exaust come out right after the muffler for a while (got damaged by a rock)but added a tailpipe because it's illegal. I didn't have problems with fumes, but kept the windows down. I'd say just run it out the back.

I'm thinking of doing the same. Here's what the Michigan Vehicle Code has to say about exhaust systems (quoted from their site):
"MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.707 Muffler, engine, power mechanism, and exhaust system; requirements; prohibitions.

Sec. 707.

(1) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke. A person shall not remove, destroy, or damage any of the baffles contained in the muffler, nor shall a person use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motorcycle or moped on a highway or street.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a properly operating exhaust system which shall include a tailpipe and resonator on a vehicle where the original design included a tailpipe and resonator.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1969, Act 134, Imd. Eff. June 1, 1970 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 44, Imd. Eff. Mar. 17, 1976 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977"

IntrepidXJ, do you have any pics of that? I didn't see anything on your website (which is nicely done, BTW).

yes please show us a few pics of that, i thought about doing somthing like that but am worried about mud flying up the tail pipe, i live in Michigan so i almost always have to deal with mud :(

If anyone is intersted, I have a Flowmaster muffler that is already setup for Side exit that came on my XJ. It could be adapted to another one fairly easily. I can get more pics.
Here it is on my XJ when I bought it.
94%20Jeep1.JPG

It hung kinda low but could have been tucked up tighter. One of the hangers was in a lame spot.

Wow. Doesn't the exhaust heat mess with the tires? I was thinking about using a hole saw on the rear quarter panel and routing it out there after wrapping it with some exhaust tape so it doesn't melt the plastic trim.

Don't know about the heat affecting tires, I removed it as I knew I would be installing rock rails and using them to slide on boulders. I knew the exhaust would be ripped off. My XJ has undergone quite a few changes since that old pic.
xjJB4.jpg

best pics i got. it comes out between the gas tank and bumpstop and is turned down

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

this setup was kindof thrown together quickly one weekend after repeatedly messing up my exhaust system on rocks....so far it has held up....but as soon as I get back from CO, I'm replacing the whole system

I kept ripping my mufflers off. I did this,
Ran the tube through the sleved frame, 120 wall tube.
Then It goes through the PS wheel well.

exhaust_tube4_136.jpg

exhaust_tube2_347.jpg

exhaust_tube1_264.jpg

Now it never get hit by rocks... think out of the box abit and make something work for you..
t_limit_strap_119.jpg

Im gonna run a second one through the DS wheel well for dual exhaust.

ashmanjeepxj said:
I kept ripping my mufflers off. I did this,
Ran the tube through the sleved frame, 120 wall tube.
Then It goes through the PS wheel well.

exhaust_tube4_136.jpg

exhaust_tube2_347.jpg

exhaust_tube1_264.jpg

Now it never get hit by rocks... think out of the box abit and make something work for you..
t_limit_strap_119.jpg

Im gonna run a second one through the DS wheel well for dual exhaust.

holy crap that is one sweet job ashman, although i would wonder about heat issues with the cat on yours, i don't think i would be able to be as radical since i still have the rear half of me jeep, but i did like your use of the through fram tubing, i was thinking of doing that with rock rails

I'm running a simple turned down tip after the last hanger. No problems at all. JIM.

Im running a straight pipe (no cat), right into a flowmaster 40 series thats tucked about an inch and a half from the driveshaft with NO tailpipe whatsoever. It dumps out into the rear wheel well and i have no cab fume problems. I fabricated hangers for it so it sits level with the frame rail and is welded on so less chance of getting ripped off. Im going on a run in 2 weeks so i will be making more hangers and try to add in a heat shield as well but its doing fine so far.

best pics i got. it comes out between the gas tank and bumpstop and is turned down

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

this setup was kindof thrown together quickly one weekend after repeatedly messing up my exhaust system on rocks....so far it has held up....but as soon as I get back from CO, I'm replacing the whole system

Has anyone else dumped the exhaust over the leaf just behind the bumpstop like this? Did it cause any problems? Impact with the leaf spring? Hot gases blowing on the tire? Any other issues?

Back