• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

self shaving 8.25

whatevah

It's Yellah!
I went wheeling a week or so ago, and was hitting harder trails than normal to test out the new lift. A few days later while showing a buddy the new scrapes, I noticed that the 8.25 housing looked a little rounder than normal. Crawled under and looked, and now it looks awfully similar to the oval D35 housing! No more flat lip.

I was planning on taking a grinder or sawzall to the housing eventually, but now I don't need to. It's actually pretty smooth, too. Has this happened to anybody else (intentionally, or otherwise)?

Tropical Storm Hanna is outside, so no pics. :p

Fwiw, I knew the rear axle was sliding over rocks, but I didn't think it was *that* bad. Usually, if it's grinding good, the front axle doesnt have enough leverage to pull the rear over. But, the longarm flex helped keep both front tires on the ground all day long. I was amazed at the obstacles the rig could handle that it couldn't do before, and still open/open! I love my XJ!

My RuffStuff cover has been sitting in the hallway for months. Been waiting on a locker before I wanted to mess with the diff fluid again.

pichers1.jpg

After encoutering rocks and a perpetually leaking diff cover, I went with the ruff stuff specialties diff cover, as shown in the pic. I love that trail proven beast.

I need to take my grinder to the diff and round out my extra flange material. This pic shows how easy it will be to follow those lines.

2666735_28_full.jpg

jerry, i wanted an nth slider to protect my rear yoke and u-joint, as well as for the benefit of sliding over that lip you're speaking of. alas, nth (now AEV) doesn't make one for the 8.25.

i was able to get a used D44 nth. it took a little fabbing, but not very much, to make it fit the 8.25. i'll be glad to provide details if you are interested.

this pic is from right after the install. based on the rockrash that has appeared on it since the install, it was a good upgrade.

0814081558.jpg

whatevah said:
My RuffStuff cover has been sitting in the hallway for months. Been waiting on a locker before I wanted to mess with the diff fluid again.
just install the damn thing already! your fluid needs changing anyway.

But, I'll have the ARB in a month... :p

Back