• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OE XJ Lower Control Arm clearancing???

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... so now that I have 30x9.5x15 tires on my OE '96 Rims... I'm getting a slight bit of rub on the front lower control arms. Nothing too serious... but you can see on the LCA's where the tire is rubbing a nice shiney smooth spot where the 'roll' at the base of the LCA metal is. I didn't take pics... but you know the area I'm talking about.

MY ??? Has anyone been able to 'smash' or bend or pinch up that 'rollover' part of the LCA to get just that 1/4" of extra tire clearance when turning full-lock?

I'd like to be able to do this while the LCA's are still mounted and w/out sacraficing structural integrity if that's possible.

I tried using my air hammer w/the flat 'bit' and it just started to cut/scrape so that was stopped. Then I put the largest pair of channel locks I have and tried to bend/smash it and it seemed to work just a little... very little. Any other suggestions? Maybe I'm trying to do something that can't be done. Possibly in the future I'll replace the OE LCA's w/teh WJ (I think...) that have more of the 'S' type shape for more clearance but if anyone has done this before I'd appreciate how they did it.

Thanks

Gets a set of LCA's off of a WJ. With minimal modification they will go in, and they are 'bent' for tire clearance while being stronger than OEM XJ ones.

EDIT: doh. You even said that in your post. ;)

LOL...

Well that's the plan down the road. Right now I'd like to keep f/spending much $$ on the ole' XJ as I've basically replaced darn near everything that could fail in the past 6 months on her... 'cept for the Engine/Tranny/Transfercase.... New Radiator, Power Steering Pump, Water Pump, Sway bar bushings, Distributor, Plugs/Wires, Battery, Alternator, MORE Motor Mounts, O2 Sensor, New Tires... and I'm sure a few other odds and ends to go along. Oh... I also replaced the Oil Pressure Switch w/a P.O.C (peice of cr@p) one f/ A-zone that has already gone bad in less than a month... and of course they won't return the part. That thing cost me $25 so although it's not a break-the-bank item... it's also not a $2.50 part. I need to replace that, again... next.

So I thought if there was a way I could alter the OE LCA's w/out shelling out any cash that'd be great... otherwise I'll just live w/not locking the steering full-turn until I can get the WJ LCA's.

How about limiting the amount your wheel can turn by letting out a little on the wheel stop bolts on either side? Your turning radius will be sacrificed a little, but it would stop the rubbing.

the OE arms are weak enough as is... I wouldn't try modifying them. just keep an eye on the local junk yards for a wrecked WJ.

Thanks guys. I'll keep my eyes out for a wrecked WJ. I was thinking I may be trying to do something that wasn't 'doable' but figured I'd ask here.

I think gojeep has it on his site as well, but you can always throw a washer or two under the bolts for the steering stops. Keeping them from turning that little bit will keep the lugs out of the control arm.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back