• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end wobble: Tire to blame?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
OKay, Low down, 89 4dr, 5" lift, RR steering, adj trac bar, 33x14x15 Tsl Boggers on 10" wide wheels

Yesterday i was running 31" a/ts and it was an "Okay" ride, No wobbles, faint deadspot from the RR steering..

Today, got the tires on, getting used to the Bogger "Rumble" and slow speed vibrations..

But at about 35mph, i get a woble, that progressivly gets worse up to about 50mph, it gets to the point it feels dangerous, On top of that, i think the steering is showing me why everyone hates it with these super heavy tires.. the deadspot is severe, i did a "Backyard" alignment, not perfect but much closer then it was, and i STILL have the wobble..

The tires have about 2500 Airsoft BB's in them each, witch i calculated to be about 9-10oz each tire.. I was reading that 1800-1900 is about 7.5oz and that works for a 33x12.5 just fine.. i gave it a few extra.. could this be the culprit?

the wobble *feels* as if a tire or two or three or four is out of balance..

-Another issue, i was told boggers are directional. and 3 are going in the right direction, i have to have the 4th re-mounted the right way tomorrow morning.. could THIS also help the wobble?

Looking for input.:hang:

and yes, i know, boggers suck. but the deal was to good to pass up

boggers don't necessarily suck and yea steering is awful with them. which tire is going the opposite way? if it's one of the rears then that's not your problem. the front's might shimmy your steering a bit but not bad. make sure all your bolts that you took out for the lift are tight and get a true alignment. i'd start there and see where it gets ya

I'm experiencing the same thing, I went from 31" buckshots to 34" ltb's and I have about 20oz of airsoft in each tire and still wobbles like crazy above 35. A few weeks ago I was able to finally ride with the doors off and what I originally though was a tire out of balance I quickly realized that the whole tire is wobbling side to side. I haven't changed anything on the jeep except mounting the tires so there's no bolts that were loosened or anything. I haven't been able to narrow it down yet and won't be able to work on it for a couple of months as I'm away on business. The front end is in alignment as I can put the small stock tires from my other xj on it and it drives just fine, but once the heavier bigger tires are on it it wobbles like crazy feeling like the whole front end is gonna fall apart. Since I'm away on business hopefully someone will chime in here with a couple of ideas of what to check so when i get back I have somewhere to start.

Back