• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Tread

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
Noticed I am starting wearing down my tire tread.

For Naches? Should I run the tires with better tread in front or back?

Thanks
Jason

I would think since there will probably be no mud, you should be ok unless you have very little tread left. How much tread do you have Jason? 1/2", 1/4"?

Hans

about 1/4" in front

about 1/2" in front.

My spare is new. I did not want to have to spend more money, but I could get one more new tires and throw one of my 1/4" treaded tires on top.

Should the lessor treaded tires run on the front or rear?

1/4" is getting pretty slim. There won't be much mud but there is dirt(kinda like driving on FINE flour) What kinda tires do you have? I would say get one more tire and you should be good. Stop at some tire stores and ask if they have a good used tire of your brand. Usually you can pick them up for $25-$40.

Hans

BFG Mud Terrains.

Guess I will utilize my low tread as a spare until after Naches.

I know shops put the new pair in the rear. Is there any reason I should be the better tread in front?

Wouldn't you want the good tires in the rear so the weight transfer on acceleration will be to the good tread?

Good thread--- I see the points on both sides... but I still put the best tires up front for braking and steering. Had several blowouts/flats in the back and it was no big deal at all. OF COURSE none of this was over 55 MPH.

Back