• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2k XJ w/270 miles, shud I upgrade it?

How is the rust?

I think there are quite a few folks who are investing more than $5K in these vehicles. On the one hand, we like the platform and want to continue to enjoy it. On the other hand, if something happens to this particular chassis the parts can most likely still be pulled out and put into another chassis.

Not a big deal, IMO. I just put a D44/D60 into my 98 that I've owned since new. I don't see getting rid of it and figured it's a lot less money than I would have spent on another rig.
Build it right and invest in good parts and you'll want to keep it. If something happens to it, take the good parts and put them on another XJ.

yeah See... I have no attention to getting rid of it, ever.

SoCal Jeep no rust, but the sun baked off some top coat.

Runs great right now. I do have problems tho. She overheats when driving uphill. Misses on cylinder 1 sometimes. I had some electrical work done on it. The harness is rotten in spots. But 2 weekends ago I driving up to Big Bear. Ran she strong the whole time. I stopped for a break. When I pulled out I got a miss 1 and 6. Jeep sat, since my boy drove mostly that weekend, no wheeling intended. I get back in to leave the light is gone and continues to run strong without any light reappearing since.

Not sure if it's the time for a rebuild?

I need to get her locked not make her new again. But then I don't need to be in the sticks with engine trouble either... AAAAAAAHHH.

Rust free XJs are getting tough to come by. If you plan to keep it put another motor in it if necessary. When we bought the one my son drives I was more concerned with rust than miles. Found one with 218k with no rust. I figure if I get another 100k out of it, great. If not I’ll find a used 4.0 and slap it in. Personally, I rather do that than chase the devil we call rust.

Symptoms sound like heat soak on the injectors. Wasn't there a TSB for this?

Symptoms sound like heat soak on the injectors. Wasn't there a TSB for this?

The early XJs didn't have heat shields aorund the injectors, the newer ones did. Even then, somethimes it was an issue.

I made the mistake of cutting in hood vents on one Jeep. It only made the problem worse as it would pull the hot air past the intake.
So I mounted a fan in the vent above the intake. When I stopped, I would start the fan and let it run awhile, which took care of the issue.

To the OP:
If the body is in good shape, and the vehicle doesn't owe you anything, I would mod it the way you want it.
$5K is nothing in the scheme of things, and if you do some cleaver junk yarding/parts swapping you can accomplish your goals for a lot less than that.

Last edited:
The early XJs didn't have heat shields aorund the injectors, the newer ones did. Even then, somethimes it was an issue.

O/P has a 2000, so I'd expect the TSB to apply because I think it was specifically targeted at something in the 97-01 range.

so I was at the dealership with the jeep recently, they would be very quiet about an active TSB, wouldn't you think?

Is there a quick way to find the TSB?

D44, disc breaks, 30 spine Axles, 4.56, fNboutTime Locker, Eton Detroit, go'n limited slip. (Explorer, DD) 5K? all brand new? yeah?

I want 33's but gas is $4 a gal. Tax is 60 cents a gal. WTF, anyway I was having a streering shake at 50mph. Go for a balance. Tire (Young) guy said he had to use and I quote a "Ridiculous Amount of weight". Does Ridiculous still mean, Ridiculous?

I want 33's but gas is $4 a gal. Tax is 60 cents a gal. WTF, anyway I was having a streering shake at 50mph. Go for a balance. Tire (Young) guy said he had to use and I quote a "Ridiculous Amount of weight". Does Ridiculous still mean, Ridiculous?

Yes. Steel rims?

That is good to hear, ty I hate to think my rims are fd up.

its odd... why now, had the same tire size and same exact rims for over 8 years i think. idk, finally correct now??

That's the perfect XJ to upgrade because then you have a legit excuse for the wife why you need to build a stroker! "Yeah, babe, gotta rebuild the engine so it doesn't break down in the middle of nowhere. It's really a safety thing, the extra power is just a nice bonus..."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back