NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old February 11th, 2019, 22:22
NAXJA Member

Re: 4 what it's worth

Looks really nice. Just trim those front fenders a little higher. Maybe more bumpstop and limit straps would be a great idea.
Old March 12th, 2019, 22:22
NAXJA Member

Re: 4 what it's worth

Ive got some more pics, mostly to just keep the stoke going through winter and to show how the xj turned out.

First thing to do was get an alignment, turned out the garage alignment wasnt bad. Caster ended up at 6.4*, the shop set the toe at 0.

First trip out we hit hell hole reservoir. This was a great shake down trail, it was pretty easy going down, on the way up the waterfall section was a bit tricky. We did the trial pretty quick, it was getting to/ from that took forever.

I thought we'd have plenty of time getting off the trail with this much light. We ended up driving home with the light bars on just to get back to 80.

If you thought the jeep was old

Still amazes me that these jeeps can be driven to the trail, wheeled pretty hard, and then make it home! Living in the bay area it can take a long time on fridays to make it up to tahoe, sitting in 95*+ traffic I wonder whether the highway or trail riding is harder on the jeep.

Just checking under the zj, everything is still there...

Changed the rear diff fluid after 500ish miles. I glued some magnets to the diff cover: highly recommended.

Before

After

Next up was the Rubicon. I was so stoked to get to drive my jeep this time.

We began the trip with the intention of camping at buck. But when we got there, we got worried about making it home the next day at a reasonable hour, so we ended up doing the whole trail in a (long) day.

As you can see in the photos, I didnt bring a spare since the rim had not arrived yet. I wasnt too worried; I figured what are the chances that something happens on my new wheels/ tires?
Well I never inspected or replaced the valve stems that came on the used wheels. Turns out one of them was really loose and decided to start loosing air when I tried to air up (the trailers were looking really nice at this point). Luckily my friend in the gold xj has the same axle, but he's running 37s. We put his spare on my front (since locking hubs) and I drove home without issues, lesson learned.

Also had installed a tcase skid plate before this trip. Seems that it came in handy!

We finished the summer at cal4wheel's sierra trek. The day before we got there, one of the volunteers was involved in a fatal roll over on one of the first winch hills. Super sad, and a reminder to always wear your seatbelt, even when you think youre just moving to the side of the trail. We ended up going down from 5 to 3 and back up. 4wheel magazine got this drone shot, we're the 3 jeeps parked awkwardly close together.

Flexin out going down wh3:

Climbing back up

Tried my luck on the bonus line of wh5, made it about half way

Finished by watching the perseid meteor shower from a hill top. This trip was much better planned and we were not rushed like the previous trips. Turns out its really nice when you have time at the end of the day to drink beer and canoe on a lake.