• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Sensor

play_in_the_mud

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 4.0 manual trans. The coolant temp gauge stopped working and the electric fan stopped coming on. Went and picked up the sensor to replace it, anyone know where exactly its at? Took a brief look and couldnt find it. Thanks for any help guys.

The sender for the guage is on the back of the cylinder head, passenger side.

I believe the sensor in the thermostat housing, which sends the signal to the PCM, is the one that controlls the fan though...

Ones in the Thermostat housing and ones at the back of the head there two.
The one in the t-stat controls the fan relay the one in the head runs the dash Gage.

play_in_the_mud said:
I have a 95 4.0 manual trans. The coolant temp gauge stopped working and the electric fan stopped coming on. Went and picked up the sensor to replace it, anyone know where exactly its at? Took a brief look and couldnt find it. Thanks for any help guys.

The gauge sending unit is on the back of the cylinder head on the driver's side so you'll definitely need to replace that.
Regarding the electric fan. If it works when you switch on the AC, that means the sensor in the t'stat housing has taken a dump. I agree it would be unusual for two things to go at the same time but s**t happens. If the fan doesn't switch on when you operate the AC, then the problem's the fan relay and not the t'stat housing sensor.

270hp@4950/327lbft@3750, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.6secs :D
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Dr. Dyno said:
If it works when you switch on the AC, that means the sensor in the t'stat housing has taken a dump. If the fan doesn't switch on when you operate the AC, then the problem's the fan relay and not the t'stat housing sensor.
]

What if its a new relay and it still doesnt come on when you cut the A/C on? The only way ive gotten the fan to come on so far is to run a 12v jumper to it??

well i thought it was... but now that you bring it up im not sure.. ill have to check that tonight... if the A/C compressor is not coming on, it won't actually trip the fan on, i take it. if thats the case whats the next thing to check to get the fan to come on like it should?

thanks for the help

ajeeperwannabe said:
well i thought it was... but now that you bring it up I'm not sure.. ill have to check that tonight... if the A/C compressor is not coming on, it won't actually trip the fan on, i take it. if thats the case whats the next thing to check to get the fan to come on like it should?

thanks for the help
The fan comes on when the compressor runs.
It also comes on when the engine temp is over 219.
On a 89 the fan is controlled by a temp switch screwed into the lower driver side of the radiator.

Back