• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp. Sensor 92 4.0 vs 96

LandCruizzer

NAXJA Forum User
After changing my t-stat and i just had my radiator bored out today still running hot. I'm having cooling problems with a salvage engine I just had installed. My engine was running at normal temps according to the guage before it shot a rod thru the oil pan. After having a 96 slavage engine with my '92 intake installed it was running hot. The when i infared back near the temp sensor(back right of the block) it reads about 30 degrees or more cooler than the guage says in the dash. Does anyone know if they are the same sensors? I did overheat a few times going up some steep grades at 8000 feet. but that wasn't untill the guage was at like 285, way off the scale. any feed back greatly appreciated

Thanx

I believe they are the same sensor. Just check the connectors. If they're the same try it. all you have to lose is about 5 minutes and some teflon tape.

I just got off the phone with Jeep and they said that they have the same part number so I guess they are the same sensor, however it just may be a bad sensor. Gonna replace it tomorrow... I'll keep ya posted

Feel free to post other thoughts on this matter

Thanx

I recently replaced the sender on my '96 and both Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone gave me a headache from the sensors. Apparently they both have a different sensor listed in the system for a '96, but it uses a 2-pin connection. My '96 has a single wire comming off of the sender (and I WAS getting the proper sender for the full gauge).

I had them order me a '95 sender, and the connector matched but is reading a little bit higher than before. Not entirely sure why this is, maybe just small differences in senders? I can actually see when my 195 degee t-stat opens, and it's around 215 on the gauge so as long as I know the gauge reads high I'm ok with it.

As Jeep also told you, I'm pretty sure they used the same sender over the years (despite what the parts stores told me). Can't hurt to replace it anyway!

Thanx for the info... the dealer has one in stock so I'm just gonna pick that one up... I hope that is my fix... don't really know what to do if that doesn't work.

???

Back