• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Bilsteins?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
bought a 97 Country for my wife that we are "restoring" little by little with all new parts and a new engine.

Looking at doing some coil spacers and shackles for a lift to fit some Rubicons on bigger tires. This is more of a DD, very light off-road/camping stuff. So only 1.5-2" lift. Trying to find which Bilsteins we need. Had some on our Tacoma and liked the ride.

Anyone got the part # front and rear? I've seen that some run stock sizes... Looking for a comfy ride for around the price of Bilsteins.

Got these off the Bilstein site.

5100 series
Front 2-3" lift
24-185622

Rear 2-3" lift
24-185639

You can also use OE Jeep JK shocks from a Sahara or Rubicon. The Sahara has a little softer valving. I ran them with my 2.5" lift and it was very very nice.

I had JK shocks awhile back from our last Cherokee, just never installed.

I know they're definitely cheaper, anyone know the comfort difference between Bils and JK?

Ideally going for most comfort being a DD and minimal off-road.

This'll be her rig for the next decade so we are upgrading pretty much everything bit by bit.

Thanks for the part #s

Pass on the Bilstein. I went through 3, all fronts in 30k. Finally ditched them for a Nitro set and couldn't be happier. The 5100's are pretty stiffly valved. Well there's that, and they are junk imo.

Pass on the Bilstein. I went through 3, all fronts in 30k. Finally ditched them for a Nitro set and couldn't be happier. The 5100's are pretty stiffly valved. Well there's that, and they are junk imo.
I'm inclined to believe that something else going on. My last pair had about 70k on them (4" lift models) and were just removed in order to install longer ones.

Sounds like you're bottoming them out or over-extending them at speed. Got bump stops or limit straps?

Regardless, OP: pull your springs out and measure your ideal compressed shock length and go from there. Bump stop accordingly.

Mine ride like butter, and the Zone nitros were bricks; both on a non-armored XJ, just bull bar and tire carrier.

I'm inclined to believe that something else going on. My last pair had about 70k on them (4" lift models) and were just removed in order to install longer ones.

Sounds like you're bottoming them out or over-extending them at speed. Got bump stops or limit straps?

Regardless, OP: pull your springs out and measure your ideal compressed shock length and go from there. Bump stop accordingly.

Agreed better to get a measurement, but the part numbers will get you started. I suggest the hockey puck bump stop set up, it's cheap and works great, and the dirt bound offroad spring plates for the rear set up (if you need it).

foxes and 7100+ bilsteins are on another level than ome, OME's are a good white rocket, and thats fine, but foxes/7100+'s are a mans shock absorber.

Back