• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring Question

xjrookie06

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a cheapskate and am installing a 2 inch lift on my '96 XJ using the polyurethane spacers up front and add a leaf in the rear. (I'm rolling on 235's, so it shouldn't look too stupid!)

Anyway, what is the easiest way to get the coil springs off? All the stuff I've read say remove this, that, and the other, but can't I just remove the retaining clip that holds the spring on, then, using a floor jack, raise the vehicle? Shouldn't that extend the spring fully enough to pull out, or will there still be tension on it?
:skull1:

xjrookie06 said:
I'm a cheapskate and am installing a 2 inch lift on my '96 XJ using the polyurethane spacers up front and add a leaf in the rear. (I'm rolling on 235's, so it shouldn't look too stupid!)

Anyway, what is the easiest way to get the coil springs off? All the stuff I've read say remove this, that, and the other, but can't I just remove the retaining clip that holds the spring on, then, using a floor jack, raise the vehicle? Shouldn't that extend the spring fully enough to pull out, or will there still be tension on it?
:skull1:

Take the sway bar off and the bump stop. You MAY be able to clear it then

mine were nowhere near comin off by doing that... and even if you do manage to get it out theres no way in hell you're gunna get it back in with the spacer in there... take loose the swaybar, LCAs and steering and then jack it up with the floor jack... I promise its not that time consuming or difficult... Just do it right the first time... cutting corners only makes things harder.... Let us know how it goes.

Should be no problem. Lift the front (not from the axle) high enough to allow it to droop. I've done a couple of these this way without removing everything. I even added 5.5-inch lift springs this way. Just be careful to remove your lower shocks so it can droop out. And, like low range said, you will need to disconnect your sway bar links (not hard at all). After all that is done and raised, the springs will fall down and you just guide them out before guiding the new ones in.

Good luck!

Last edited:
i have to agree with kj139, just lift the truck up on the side your takin' out high enough and let the axle drop as far as it will go and you will be fine. you SHOULDN'T have to disconnect your LCA's. that is alot more work and not to mention you might run into more problems with the bolts and bushing spacers than you would want. a buddy of mine ran into the problem of the metal bushings in the LCA's getting rusted to the bolt that ran through them and had to cut the bolts to get the LCA's out. and if you have a DD that you are workin' on, you probably dont have extra bolts lying around in case you break them do ya? so i would suggest NOT to undo the LCA's if you dont have to.

kj139 said:
Should be no problem. Lift the front (not from the axle) high enough to allow it to droop. I've done a couple of these this way without removing everything. I even added 5.5-inch lift springs this way. Just be careful to remove your lower shocks so it can droop out. And, like low range said, you will need to disconnect your sway bar links (not hard at all). After all that is done and raised, the springs will fall down and you just guide them out before guiding the new ones in.

Good luck!
You must be one big MoFo with some leverage, Ive done a few XJ`s but my 87 I just did I gave up and dropped the LCA`s,shocks,sway bars and had to use my knee to still push down the axle for room, and at that it wasent real smooth goin . Now the TJ.... after the 4th time I had that down to 20 mins a side..

Go to NAPA or Autozone and rent some McPherson spring compressors - they'll refund you the full amount when you return them (=FREE!).

Removing the sway bar links, trackbar (at the axle) and lower shock mounts will help because you won't have to compress the springs so much. Make sure the compressors have the safety lock on them.

Good advice from all. That's why I love this forum.

By the way, I did "rent" coil spring compressors, but when I got home, they were the wrong type!

My whole problem has been the dang bolts that won't budge!

OK. Those coil spring compressors are scary as hell!

They shifted as I was trying to get the spring out and smashed my thumb!

I'll proceed the old fashioned way even if it means she'll be out of commision for a few days. No more boo-boos!:doh:

BTW, Gooooooooooo Dawgs!! Sic 'em!! (UGA all the way!)

my neighbour lost his index finger with a coil spring compressor.
I am having a bitch getting my coils back in as well, but i havent removed anything yet

You definately can get hurt with coil compressors, especially cheap ones.

I have done this dozen times on different vehicles including many times on my XJ and have learned some hard, scary lessons, but have never been hurt.

When you get a coil comressor make sure you get TWO external compressors, one to use on each side of the spring. Make sure it has a locking pin that slides under the top coil and over the lower coil to keep the coils locked into the gripping finger saddles. Tighten them evenly and keep you fingers clear of any pinch points. Dont use any hammers or apply force to the spring to get it out. Disconnect the sway bar and shock, jack up the side that the spring you are removing is on to flex the suspension and it will lift right out. Wear gloves and never put your head in the line of fire if the compressors slip off or the spring falls and pops out. Slow moves, small steps let the tool do the work (all the usual motherhood is good statements).

John

Back