• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full sizers with 17" rims

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
I searched up a bit across some boards here and there.

I'm looking at a pair of axles from a 78 f250, you know the deal, HP44, FF 60 rear. Well I'm not wanting the complete fullsizeness of the fullsizers. I would like to cut them down a little bit, maybe an inch or 2 wider that stock axles. Then I get problems with custom axles and stuff. Even if i cut the front down to waggy length...the rear would still have to have custom axles if it's cut to the same width...unless there is a 60 somewhere with less than a 65" width....??? that way I can cut to that and use those axles.

I saw Beezil runs a 17" rim with 5" BS...8" wide I'm assuming. DO you have a frontal pic so I can see just how far those tires are protruding. Protruding...what a cool word. This seems like a decent solution to me rather than than cutting, but cutting is not a problem with me either, getting axles made is. I want as low cost as possible here.

The ONLY reason I want to cut is to keep my jeep street legal. In NJ, the whole tire tread must be covered by flares. Well, what are your thoughts... cut or just go for high BS'ed wheels. Thanks a lot _nicko_

gearwhine said:
I searched up a bit across some boards here and there.

I'm looking at a pair of axles from a 78 f250, you know the deal, HP44, FF 60 rear. Well I'm not wanting the complete fullsizeness of the fullsizers. I would like to cut them down a little bit, maybe an inch or 2 wider that stock axles. Then I get problems with custom axles and stuff. Even if i cut the front down to waggy length...the rear would still have to have custom axles if it's cut to the same width...unless there is a 60 somewhere with less than a 65" width....??? that way I can cut to that and use those axles.

I saw Beezil runs a 17" rim with 5" BS...8" wide I'm assuming. DO you have a frontal pic so I can see just how far those tires are protruding. Protruding...what a cool word. This seems like a decent solution to me rather than than cutting, but cutting is not a problem with me either, getting axles made is. I want as low cost as possible here.

The ONLY reason I want to cut is to keep my jeep street legal. In NJ, the whole tire tread must be covered by flares. Well, what are your thoughts... cut or just go for high BS'ed wheels. Thanks a lot _nicko_

you could get 2 shafts from the short side of an offset 60 out of a van. The axles are like 65" and one shaft is about 2" shorter.

That's the exact kinda info I was asking for, thanks a lot. What van would it be from... ford, chevy, dodge? I've not a clue. Are all stock dana 60 30 spline axles created equally? Thanks again.

for heavens sake man!

don't cut those axles!!!

how bout an outside trackwidth of 78-79"????

it can be done.

swallow those calipers and knuckles, and your balljoints and bearings will love you.

20th-006.jpg

picture6.jpg

(sorry for lack of photocrdits, I was downloadig so furiously yhe other night, I missed it. apologies to the shutterbugs)

Beezil, do you know off hand what the depest backspacing you can run with a 15" wheel on the HP44 with the 1/2 ton outers and brakes? You went with the 3/4 ton outers and dual pistion calipers to match your rear 8 lug 60 correct? So that would make you roughly 2" or 2.5" wider than it would be with the 1/2 ton parts.

Jason.

One thing...is the van 60 a FF?
I found out they are doge though...proud of me?

I was thinking of a 14 bolt, but they are just so F'in big, but can be shaved down considerably I guess. The prices sure are nice too. 63" seems like a decent size. Don't disc conversions take some width off of those? You can get them out of utility vans as well correct?

7" of backspacing is enormous. Can the hummers in stock form, fit on a hp 44....either with hi steer, or normal crossover, or with any steering at all...? Or are custom centers a must?

BTW, 8-lugs....they seem like they are all the same pattern from what I read....do the hummers have a same 8 lug pattern as a 44 or 60, or is it different?

Sorry, I'm just starting my research on this stuff, bear with me as I learn more about all of it. Thanks a lot so far. _nicko_

FWIW, the "van" 60 is a 61....ask one ton or Tim Flowers for more specific information on the pros and cons.

econ, yeah, I'm running the dual piston calipers only cause they came on the axle.....I'm basically running what the axle had stock (1979 f-250)

I don't know what the numerical max. is on the offset, I chose 5" cause that's walkers max. I'm quite positive I could have gone numerically higher, the rim could swallow everything, including my highsteer arm, but just barely.....I don't see why I'd want to though, 5" seems perfect, I'm almost wondering if 4.5 would've worked jsut as well.....an inch wider may not have hurt, but then again, I've only tested this set-up for 8 days and on specific terrain (moab) ask me again after I get back from attica and paragon.

damnit I need to be home to measure..ok...60" front axle (dana 30) WMS to WMS correct? 3.75 BS 8" wheels, so that will make me 4.25" wider on each side from rim lip to rim lip...right? That would be about 68.5 " track width....haha 78"..yeah right.

wait...clarify with me...do I have the right understanding what track width is, because I'm pretty much just guessing that it's rim lip to rim lip, or maybe tire edge to tire edge....

Beezil...take a full frontal driveway shot of yours if you don't have one..I realllllly need to see how wide it looks...my Jeep can't be street illegal, and I don't want to go to those disgusting 7" wide TJ flares.

OK, so I've got these options so far, from what I know

-stick full width with some big $ 17"ers, and probably still not be legal.

- full width, go with hummers which I am not sure will even work.

- cut down a HP44 to waggy length or a bit longer if possible, and either use a 14 bolt rear with discs, or a 60 cut down....possibly getting axles cut and resplined or finding a good donor.

Any other good options you can think of, with a low price tag considering what we're dealing with.

HAHA, and Beezil coming to paragon....since when? You're too good for that crap. :rolleyes:

Beezil...take a full frontal driveway shot of yours if you don't have one

yer right.....

I don't have a driveway.....

however, its sitting on the trailer now, which should provide you with a good visual scale.

"track width".....

I shoulda said "outside trackwidth".

sorry to confuse.

BTW, the front axle *is* w-i-d-e-r than the rear. that is fairly common, but as economos was pointing out....

its probably 2" difference.

Beezil said:
FWIW, the "van" 60 is a 61....ask one ton or Tim Flowers for more specific information on the pros and cons.

econ, yeah, I'm running the dual piston calipers only cause they came on the axle.....I'm basically running what the axle had stock (1979 f-250)

Aren't 61s limited to gear and locker options? May just be hear-say, but I believe I read that off PBB somwhere...

Anyways, BJ your rig looks very well balanced and seems to have performed very well just from looking at the photos. I keep changing my mind as to what I want to do, Waggies or Ford fullwidths. I like the width of the Waggies mainly cause my junk is still my DD, but then again, the Ford axles would be MUCH easier to swap in, retaining the radius arms and using RE joints.

I only wish I could afford Walker's locks - they just look soo sweet. There's a guy tha goes by Timzjatl on JU that has the HP44/9" combo and is running them fullwidth with 36" TSLs, wrapped on 15x7 Bronco wheels (they look identical to Outlaw IIs) and his width is near perfect for what I'm after. So until I can afford some Walker's, I believe those are my next best option. I don't recall the backspacing on them however, but he's running them with no problems to date.

Thanks BJ.

gearwhine said:
That's the exact kinda info I was asking for, thanks a lot. What van would it be from... ford, chevy, dodge? I've not a clue. Are all stock dana 60 30 spline axles created equally? Thanks again.

I've found them under Dodge and Ford to date, but I woundn't be supprised to find one under a Shivvy. And if it's a 30 spline Dana 60 axle, it should fit.

If you're after a 30 spline semi-float D60 with small bearing ends thats roughly 60" wms-wms, then look under F-100 pickups.

I'm currently swapping axles and this is what i got:

Rear - Dana 70 HD out of a F350 army airfield truck with detroit

Front - Dana 60 out of a M1009 Chevy pickup with king pin knuckles

The rear is a dually with 64.5" WMS to WMS, the front 60 will be cut to match the rear and the pumpkin will be moved to the drivers side. A custom set of 35 spline moser axles will be ordered as soon as i finished the welding on the 60 this week.

I have the same problem as i have to keep my rig street legal and i have to keep an eye on the track width.

For the Hummer wheels, they are really expensive over here in germany. What do you folks pay for a set of them? :cool:

Well, forget Walkers - too much bling for my junk. I had forgotten that JOHNS351C on PBB has gotten his wheel production off the ground. These are double beadlocks with rock rings. These come in 15s, 16s, 16.5s (I think), 17s and 20s; any kinda design you want, any bolt pattern, any backspacing. He quoted me $225 per for 17x8s with 5" of backspacing for 5x5.5 bolt pattern. They look pretty damn nice as far as I'm concerned.

Here's his thread in the Vendor's Showcase on PBB.

Back