• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lipstick on a pig

TeeGee

NAXJA Forum User
Even though I have been told that build threads on forums are a thing of the past, I decided to start one. I learned about Jeeps through build forums on this site and I would like to think that some people still find value in these.

With that being said let’s get this party started:

I bought a 1989 Jeep XJ from my brother in 2018. I wanted a mild build that I could just cruise around the mountains and have the same fun that I did in highschool with my first Jeep. I immediately purchased an RE 5.5 long arm kit, SYE, method “hole” wheels, 35” BFGs, rooftop tent, and a dometic fridge. The parts showed up, and they sat around waiting to be put on for almost three years…

Three years later I decided I wanted to finish this thing. I had moved back to California and didn’t have the time to work on it. But I did have a younger brother who was working as a fabricator at a shop that built custom rock buggies in Southern Utah. I made some calls and had the Jeep (with parts) shipped down to him.

Whoever sticks it together doesnt matter cause without photos its just a night dream

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I think people stopped doing build threads because everyone moved over to facebook. Well I'm not on facebook so I'd love to see some new build threads.

Social meeja was s'posed to have killed forums like this - clearly not true but there must have been some impact.

As I'm not interested in what somebody's old schoolfriend's cousin's girlfriend's aunty's dog had for dinner I can't be bothered with Facebook or any of the others, so anything that keeps this forum (& the others) alive & relevant is good news.

So I accidentally started another thread because this one wasn’t showing up for me….anyway.

I really just wanted a simple camping rig that would go into some semi-remote places. Back in 2018 “overlanding” was nowhere near what it is today.
6bbd110426c9c49fd225e44565d558fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d7ffbd9c10f3a7b31da24837c0b40be7.jpg

After putting the lift, rack, and wheels and tires on I sent it out to a shop to do the SYE. Didn’t really trust myself to do it

c1ccfbae7e2d5cdcd58a51c54c1cf05a.jpg

During this time I moved about 250 miles away for work. The Jeep came back from the 4x4 shop, but unbelievably the 4x4 shop had installed the SYE improperly, causing the transfer case to be stuck in 4-lo. The Jeep would sit in this state for almost two years. I would move to California for work, which gave me even less time to work on it.

2021. I am working full time and live 700 miles away from my Jeep. The amazing realization of actually having money to build my Jeep, yet having no time to do it, is something I imagine every adult has.

My younger brother however has become a lead fabricator at a competition Rock Crawler shop in Southern Utah.

We make a plan to send the XJ down to him to have the SYE fixed, button up the lift kit, and install some 4:88 gears. Get it in and out in a few months….that was almost 1.5 years ago…

Welcome to the downward spiral

eb1669d833e869fb03a50c4e3a917e70.jpg

The real decent into madness started with lockers. The thought process was “if I’m going to put gears in, I might as well lockers in”. I would pay MSRP for the lockers, but my brother would put them in for free after hours. It was a good deal and ended up going with ARB lockers front and rear with a compressor mounted in the engine bay.

ab1cd9ead7d88a1bc56f54aa3171961c.jpg

Pretty simple, yet capable build right? Lift and lockers. I could get pretty much anywhere with that set-up. There were a few more little things to tackle: the cooling system had issues (most likely from the previous owner converting it from a closed system), and the installation of a light bar.

Here’s where things really took a turn…

In an attempt to address the cooling concerns, the mechanical fan was ditched for a new shroud and triple electric fan set up.
ce8a50a7f7860f88b0a3efc9a74f1b92.jpg

d02a048a4e94be3030d7905745b2b513.jpg

Lumina dual battery set-up was installed with one battery in stock location and a secondary mounted in the rear. With lights, fans, and fridge the single battery was having a difficult time staying charged.

e2e23c10f67c9d2969c2ea477421d857.jpg

A pillar light bar mount. KC bar would not mount to the FrontRunner Roof Rack.

adaf50a487297666beb89cb1bf66f201.jpg

As a wedding gift. My brother designed and made a new center console. The base model Cherokee did not come with a center console. It had an emergency brake handle and that was it.

I absolutely despise the cluttered cabin that modern Jeeps have become. All of these “overlanders” look like they’re ready to go invade Iraq with the switches, radios, wires, gadgets, all over the place. I knew I would need to get a switch panel at a minimum, but I really hated most after market options. My brother made the best possible solution.

Back