• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ rear trackbar?? what is that thing?

Slip Kid

That'll buff right out
Got under my friends YJ the other day, and I totally don't understand the rear suspension. it's leaves, but has what looks like a trackbar? is it an anti-sway thing or what? I'm conufused. It looks like an anti-flex bar to me. but I'm sure it's needed for somthing, enlighten me please!

I don't know anything about YJs

:anon:

i replaced the exhaust and shocks about 2 years ago on my cousins YJ and if my memory serves me correctly i believe it did have a rear trac bar.

They have front and rear track bars. I've heard a lot of YJ owners tell me they yank 'em off without any detrimental side effects. I never have figured that one out yet :dunno:

To figure it out, you have to remember what caused AMC/Jeep to build the YJ at all. They were happily selling all the CJs they could build. However, some kid took a new CJ with a "roll" (show) bar on it and a load of his buddies, and went out in a field to show off how neat it was to get air under the thing. Needless to say, it flipped, crushed the "roll" bar, and IIRC killed one kid and created a couple of vegetables.

In the great American tradition, the families sued AMC on the grounds that (a) the design was unsafe because the vehicle rolled over, and (b) the vehicle was unsafe because the "roll" bar didn't save their poor innocent kids.

AMC lost the lawsuit -- and that was the death knell for the CJ. The YJ design was intended more to be stable and un-rollable (if that's not a word I just made it up) than to be off-road capable. Thus, although track bars are probably not absolutely necessary with leaf springs, they do remove some lateral movement, and that makes the vehicle just a bit more stable and predictable in cornering.

Now you know.

Yeah, well Ford had the "Pinto Kid" and AMC/Jeep had the "CJ Kid."

Now it looks like Ford is doing it all over again, with the "Crown Vic Cop." :D

Back