• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 AW4 in Limp Mode

WitchyPsycho2

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a 91 XJ that was abandoned for $500. The previous owner had told the place where he abandoned it wasnt pulling hills. I moved it recently and have started going through the everything on the jeep to figure out what was the problem.

So far i have checked if it will shift manually and it works exactly how it should without the tcm.

I have run through all the connectors on the tcm and all except the main power wire checked out. Fixed that problem by cutting into the wire and inserting my own fused power wire, i could not for the life of me find the inline fuse.
Still in limp mode.:mad:

I have checked the tps and the voltages are reading correctly.
Fluid is fine. Brand new.
I know the speed sensor is faulty since my speedometer isnt working and the unit isnt producing any readings how it should.
But would this cause my problem?

Im really at my wits end with this jeep. everything is working fine except for the transmission not working correctly.
There is one thing that im not sure how to address but the Power/Comfort switch isnt getting any power and im not sure if that would affect it this way.
I have looked into just about every transmission post i could find and im still not sure what it could be. At this point im almost thinking the tcm went out.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

I have checked all the wiring. Everything is working in specs. And everything in the harness is all connected correctly. Not sure about the power comfort switch. will look this weekend.

I have checked all the wiring. Everything is working in specs. And everything in the harness is all connected correctly. Not sure about the power comfort switch. will look this weekend.

Power/Comfort switch has nothing to do with your issue.

Have you tried unplugging the 2 large square connectors near the trans dipstick tube, spraying them out with electronics cleaner and plugging them back in?

Back