• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a big Project!

triple 4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87 Chomanche with a 4.0 and and that 5 speed from france with a 231 t-case, now I also have a 87 cherokee that has a 4.0, AW4 and a 242 t-case. Now my qusetion is can I swap everything thats in the cherokee to the commanche I mean the motor and trans and t-case. Will it run right and well everthing bolt up right?? I'm thinking that I will have to take the computer out of the cherokee and put in the commanche. Or will it be better to do just the trans and t-case swap?? I would like to know please what anybody knows on the subject. oh and I also have 3 weeks to do this, wish me luck!
Thanks to you all
Holden

Everything should transfer right over and bolt right up... you'll need to swap in the TCU and some wiring harness from the XJ. If you swap everything from the radiator back to the transmission mount, you should be good to go. Removing the front clip makes pulling the drivetrain out in one piece much easier than doing it piecemeal.

You can do the swap either way. It isn't completely necessary to swap the ECU, but the one for the automatic is different so to do it right you would swap that over. Don't forget that the tranny computer is separate, so you'll need to move that to the Comanche.

As to the engine or just the tranny & tc, I think it would be easier to just move the tranny/tc but you may feel it's easier to leave it all together. Your decision might be influenced by which engine has fewer miles and/or is in better running condition.

thanks for all the advise, with all hope and luck it well slid in and fire up. With no problems, not like my other swap a 2.8 to a 2.5 man it runs fine but I get a surge problem when I m at idle. It a he of a digger and a different looking jeep!

Back