• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler: 1996 VW TDI engine for engine swap

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
This is the engine, flywheel, wiring harness and silver ECU out a 1996 B4, my first TDI. I was going to rebuild this for the car, but ended up parting the car out and planned on using it for a TDI swap. After that my brother got hit by a dump truck so I ended up with a 2003 ALH, harness and ECU.

The engine: Right now its completely disassembled and the block started to get a bit of rust on it. The block is going to have all the oil passage plugs removed and then soda blasted to safely remove all of the rust. ARP main studs installed so it can be align honed without needing to buy a few sets of stock replacement bolts. Honed out to install a set of .5mm over Nural brand pistons (updated style IIRC they are from an ASV.) The deck will get resurfaced the minimum amount needed to clean it up. New wrist pin bushings too. Rod bolts will be stock replacement from IDParts. All oil clearances will checked with Sunnen bore gauges, no plastigauge for this one.

The head has already been lightly ported and I may be putting custom valves and a cam in it but it has not been modified beyond the point of using a stock camshaft and OEM replacement valves. It will get valve guides, full valve job and a resurface as well.
I also have all of the brackets for mounting the accessories, all of the accessories have been sitting for a few years now so I will include them as cores to be turned into the parts store only.
Single mass flywheel has been resurfaced.

Wiring harness: The harness is complete up to about the beginning of the rear doors and 90% of the ends were labeled as it was being removed. everything after the rear doors has been cut. It includes the silver ECU with the internal vacuum line replaced with a piece bought at the dealership.

I can build this to suite almost anybody's needs so let me know.

I'm back in school so I can use the extra money for books....

I also have the stock exhaust manifold and a GT15 with 30-40K on it, very little shaft wiggle.
I'm thinking that $3000 + shipping is good for this with the head the way it sits, lightly ported with stock valves and camshaft.
Injection pump probably needs a rebuild too.

let me know what you think.

~Alex

Back