NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep CJs and Wranglers > Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ (1987 - 2006)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ (1987 - 2006) Technical forum for the Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ Unlimited.

Old March 31st, 2019, 17:35
NAXJA Forum User

Exclamation TJ Transfer Case Needed New/Reman or Used

Hi folks, I'm in search of a reputable vendor online who can sell me a new/reman transfer case for my 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L PowerTech I6 Automatic Transmission. I tried two websites online and one bait and switched pricing last minute and the other seems to suffer from the same problem (with their online reviews). The part went from $672 to more than $1500. MopartPartsOverStock and JeepareUs were a headache. Anyone online to recommend or even a vendor here through ? Even a good solid re-manufactured part would work great. Definitely not looking to spend $1500 but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2019, 19:17
NAXJA Member 3643

Re: TJ Transfer Case Needed New/Reman or Used

If you were on the west coast I'd recommend Inland Jeep, but I can't see it cost effective to ship across the country. If you want a used one, not reman try car-part.com. looks like there quite a few for 250-400 bucks. If you need to add a sye, get a chain, shift pads and or bearings and seals kit to freshen it up.
'00XJ Mall Krawler Edition Russ Pottenger 4.7Stroker,241OR, Rock Krawler aluminum 3 link, D44hp Yukon air zip, D44 35 spline axles locked by RWKHaus. Stiffners, and brackets by Ruffstuff. High steer-Parts Mike. T&J, fenders+ cage. Bilstein 7100, 35 KM2, OMF Beadlocks, PAC coils, Deaver G9leafs, BrownDog mounts, Currie antirock, PSC hydro
my build
Old March 31st, 2019, 22:36
NAXJA Member #120

Thats a great question. If it was me, I would rebuild my case if possible, if not check the local junk yards for one.

Occasionally I see the rubicon 231s with the 4:1 low range pop up on sale sites.

mac 'my local pick a part knows me by name' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
Old May 1st, 2019, 18:52
PSR Fire Marshall

Location: Upstate NY-live; Death Valley-play; Hawaii-working on it

Shouidn't a 1998 TJ non-Rubcon be the same 231 as an XJ? The tailshaft may be different, but using an SYE should eliminate that issue.

David Bricker / SYR
Gomer - '95 XJ, 2 dr. 4.6L Russ Pottenger Stroker; Novak TJ AX-15; Black Box 2.72:1 + 241OR 4:1; RockJock 60 Front, hydro assist, Hi-steer; D60 trussed and shaved rear; 4.56 ARB Front and Rear; Black Magic discs, Bilstein 7100s front and rear; 35s; PRP seats; Warn PowerPlant winch, hybrid cage. Annd, the Faux Dorkle is gone.
National Treasurer 2013-2021
Not a member? Become one today, and help support YOUR club.