• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32X11.5 on stock wheels?

flyingphil

NAXJA Forum User
Holly crap! I've been searching for a week and still haven't found an answer to my question. Can I put a set of 32X11.5 on stock XJ mags? I have a RE 4.5 lift and JKS disco's. I really like my wheels and kinda would like to keep'em... Will the offset be sufficent? I've heard the rubbing stories on the LCA's and the fender cutting involved seems quite extensive, I'm soo lost. And I need to buy tires soon too! Here's a pic of my mags when the 30's were on (along with the 2 inch lift...)
jeep009.jpg

Thanks guys!

Phil

you will indeed rub your LCA's b/c of the stock backspacing. Get you a set of wheel spacers if your wanting to keep the factory wheels. Proper usage of bumpstops will prevent rubbing and keep you from having to trim your fenders. But remember that setting your bumpstops so that it will not rub will inadvertantly reduce your flex etc...

I have 4.5" lift with 32x11.5 on my 15x7 ecco wheels. I have spacers and no rubbing except at the bumper cap with the turned slightly. Easily fit the rim.

i have 32s on my 3 inch rustys and stock rims. they fit fine except for a bit of rubbing when turned at full lock. you just need to adjust your steering stops and you will be fine without much loss in turing radius

I ran 32x11.5's on 4.5" lift and stock wheels for 7 months or so, it worked great.

PM me and i'll dig up pictures later.

-C

Ditto, 32x11.50's on stock wheels for years. Stock control arms make rubbing very noisy and disturbing but doesn't hurt anything. After market (tube style) LCA's make it less noticeable.
Adjust your steering stops and you'll be fine....

I've also got stock wheels with 32 11.5's on my XJ... It does rub on the LCA's, and if you don't want to mess with your steering, you don't have to.. After some time, you'll know how far you can crank your wheel.. The problem is when other people drive, they just shred your tire when flippin those U-turns.

The thing I hate about it is the stock wheels come with a lot of backspacing. I also have stock fender flares. So when I go mudding, there's no way I can get the jeep muddy without steering and sliding all over. Thats only if you like your jeep muddy.....

Absdad said:
Ditto, 32x11.50's on stock wheels for years. Stock control arms make rubbing very noisy and disturbing but doesn't hurt anything. After market (tube style) LCA's make it less noticeable.
Adjust your steering stops and you'll be fine....

i have some 31 11.50s laying around that i was planning on putting on my xj after i get my 3" lift, will these have the same problem on the stock wheels or is the .5" less radius enough to clear

Wont you get abnormal wear on the tires from running wider that 10.5 on stock wheels?Or will the sidewalls suck it up?

Every tire store I've ever been too said don't run anything wider than a 10.50 on a 15x7 rim. It creates a ballooning effect, which not only looks completely dumb it also causes the tire to wear unevenly. Good luck on trying to keep those balanced...

88XjLaredo said:
Every tire store I've ever been too said don't run anything wider than a 10.50 on a 15x7 rim. It creates a ballooning effect, which not only looks completely dumb it also causes the tire to wear unevenly. Good luck on trying to keep those balanced...
There you go confusing me again... Damn you!!!

Phil, broken and confused...

I'm also looking to run a 32 inch tire on 3.5 R.E lift or should I just stick with a 31?
if so what size on 15x8 wheel :dunno::dunno::dunno:

On anything less than a 33 x12.50 you should run 15 x 7 rims with at least 4.5" of BS.

The tire manufacturer should have a recommended rim width for any given tire width.

A 10.5 wide tire typically should be on an 8" rim and a 12.5 wide tire typically should be on a 10" rim for best tread wear. Some people run wide tire on narrow rims to help keep the tire on the rim when off-road at low tire pressures. A wide tire on a narrow rim very often leads to accelerated wear in the center of the tire treads.

Side note: If a thread has been dormant for 14 years, you should start a new one.

Plenty of people prefer 15x8 for 12.50” wide tires... keeps the bead on better as described.

Than others prefer a wider wheel for the extra footprint when aired down, and to me the stance looks better too if bs is equal.

Narrower wheel equals slightly taller tire... I went from 15x8 to 15x10s and it isn’t a severe difference. This “ballooned out tire” was not something I’d call it with the small difference in rim width.

Long story short, 15x8 is fine for 3#x11.5 tire

Back