• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spidertrax/fourwheeler mag opinion on balljoints/kingpins

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
In the november issue of fourwheeler an article on the spidertrax ultimate lightweight knuckle states:

.....using ford one ton unit bearings......2.6 times lighter than oem 60 knuckles......Instead of a WEAK balljoint, these knuckles use a spherical ball and race combo, which provides a much stronger and simpler package than even kingpins.......specifically designed for axial loading.

Sounds like the answer to all this kingpin balljoint unit bearing crap I've been hearing.

Last edited:
It still wieghs a ton. I know Farmermatts outers (fully assymbled with brakes and whatnot) were extremly difficult for me to lift. I I think he wieghed one at 120ish?

The outers with unit bearings are much less. Less things to fail. Ball joints are not that bad! Ball joint knuckles break before the joint. If you have an aftermarket knuckle... whats the problem? King pin knuckles break too.

I will always have unibearings... I am very pleased they are getting popular now.

It uses a 3/4" uniball. For comparison, trophy trucks use a 1" uniball. For the heavier rigs we run (heavier than comp rigs) and wanting to also do the go fast stuff and jump them, I'd feel better if they used the 1" uniballs (if I was going to use Spidertrax knuckles). Of course, who knows the real strength difference between a 3/4" uniball and a D60 ball joint.......that's the real issue.

I'm sure part of the strength issue with ball joints on comp rigs is that they run with the tires half full of water or BB's along with full throttle running. That has to put a big strain on any front end component. If the weakest link in my front end is the D60 ball joint, I guess I can live with that........something is always going to be the weakest link. I still think about all the trail rigs that run Currie front 60's and Dynatrac Pro 60's with ball joint knuckles. Must not be all that bad.......maybe not the best, but not bad.

My ball joints don't read Four Wheeler. They should be ok. :thumbup:

Good thing, it'll rot their brain.

The 60 ball joints are quite large and impressive.

Paul and I had all the 60 parts we're using on the counter last night and there is no real easy way for either of them to break.

Matt, as far as a weight difference, we'll find out exactly this weekend but it could be as little as 20 pounds total or as much as 40 lbs. Looks like my total axle will weigh about 400# without brackets. For the lightweight option, it seems as if the spidertrax is the only way to go.

Last edited:
cracker said:
The 60 ball joints are quite large and impressive.

Paul and I had all the 60 parts we're using on the counter last night and there is no real easy way for either of them to break.

Matt, as far as a weight difference, we'll find out exactly this weekend but it could be as little as 20 pounds total or as much as 40 lbs. Looks like my total axle will weigh about 400# without brackets. For the lightweight option, it seems as if the spidertrax is the only way to go.

Standard BJ/unit bearing to KP/spindle weight difference is about 10 lbs per side. I'll post weights with photos in the fish thread tomorrow.

By my calculations, the Spidertrax knuckles would shave another 15 lbs per side.

The unit bearing setup doesn't save as much weight as expected, mostly because the 1 ton unit bearings are so heavy.

P

So your comparison is with the Dodge unit bearings. What do you suspect the F450 unit bearing set up to be as far as weight. Comparable to the KP/Hub set up?

cracker said:
So your comparison is with the Dodge unit bearings. What do you suspect the F450 unit bearing set up to be as far as weight. Comparable to the KP/Hub set up?

Well, I'd guess that the 450 unit bearing would weigh the same as mine, + 3 lbs per side for slugs.
You could cut 10 lbs or so per side by going with the Dodge 3 bolt, 33 spline unit bearing that Spider used without failure during their 2 + years of R&D.

P

Back