• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Still think I'll be best starting over from scratch and stripping this one to resell the suspension and lift parts. Toying with the idea of starting over with a ZJ. Only drawback to that is I can't reuse my axles which are re-geared and locked.

Why won't the axles work? The front is a bolt in. An Artec truss for the 8.8 fixes the rear.

Ed, I made that comment this before I did enough deep research. I can absolutely use both axles under a ZJ. I don't know about the Artec truss, but there are 8.8 ZJ weld-on bracket kits available.

The Artec truss is really nice and integrates everything into the axle you need. I’m planning on going that route when our 8.8 is ready to be built for the Grand.

Had I not rolled the XJ in July, today I would be running Imogene Pass into Ouray, and overnighting to run the Black Bear Road tomorrow.

Instead I washed clothes....

Had I not rolled the XJ in July, today I would be running Imogene Pass into Ouray, and overnighting to run the Black Bear Road tomorrow.

Instead I washed clothes....

Wheel the Commander!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think I haven't considered that....

Put a new fuel pump in the Mj.... Still stalls.

I'll give you $400 for it.

Considering I paid $500 10 - 15 years ago for it and Glenn has put about $2000 - $2500 in new parts on it.. Hell NO!

Getting closer to a comeback:

July 5, 2018
30560149367_0c6fb791f2_c.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Dirk DeYoung, on Flickr[/IMG]

October 22, 2018
45500323281_33ed889484_c.jpg

It looks like the roof has come back in shape pretty well. If it will hold glass, it should be good.

Not quite ready for glass yet. Want to get a once over on the engine before I drop $180 on a windshield. Also have a little work to do on the frame yet before it will hold glass. This picture shows a little more how much more I need to straighten it.

44775569404_e8bf14e0f0_c.jpg

So far the repairs have cost me about $200 for a radiator, some miscellaneous junk yard brackets, and some exhaust tubing.

Thinking about the Rockhard bolt in internal cage, if I put this one back on the trail. http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1012-1.htm

I think the top bar that goes over the mirror might be too low for me to see out the window.

Last edited:
Your line of sight out the front windshield is at mirror height?

The other option could be to lower you seat a little bit.

You are doing great.... I can understand wanting that cage Dirk but... have you even asked Tyler what he would charge to get an idea of what it would cost there? Also what other shops are around you that do cages on an xj?

Essentially Off-Road said $1800 and up depending on the complexity. Tyler was considerably more than that. Both would be exo-cages.

Yes Ed, my sight line is mirror height. Being 6'6" is good for reaching stuff on the top shelf, but a little bit of a hindrance in a Cherokee!

Essentially Off-Road said $1800 and up depending on the complexity. Tyler was considerably more than that. Both would be exo-cages.

Yes Ed, my sight line is mirror height. Being 6'6" is good for reaching stuff on the top shelf, but a little bit of a hindrance in a Cherokee!

Exo Hybrid or exo cages? I would be weary of a bolt in with the integrity of the unibody roof already compromised... Does that kit have tie ins?

Back