• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest '07

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
The time has come for us to start nailing down dates for runs. We are starting with Sierra Fest 07'. Doing something very different than we have done before for this one. With last years lack of participation, we (SC BOD) have been thinking about gearing down to fit newer members. This is the official discussion thread for SierraFest 07' so please become involved so we can see you on the trails!

Proposed event will be a Shaver Lake, CA event. Wheeling will start sunday or monday and go through the following sunday. We are combining with Goatmans annual Swamp Lake Run to combine events for better participation. Dates need to be around late July to early August. Trails options are as follows.

Red / Coyote* Lake (2days)
Mirror Lake* / Strawberry Lake (1day)
Bald Mtn (1day)
Brewer Lake (1 day)
Swamp Lake* (2 days)
Dusy-Ershim Trail* (3/4 days)
Blue Canyon (1-3 days)

We will be doing Swamp Lake FOR SURE. This is probably best done the last 2 days of the event so that the weekenders can join up. Depending on what YOU want for trails and difficulty, we can set up multiple groups for easy and moderate runs.

This is a list for rig setup for a few (marked with *) of the trails (open to discussion as well for now)
Lockers or limited slips front and rear
Rock Rails
Tow points front and rear
NO stock steering
31s and a large amount of patience or 33s
297x Joints or 760x joints with extra joints and shafts
Spare Tire of equal size and in good condition

I would be up for helping to organize a raffle for a good cause. We should also discuss this idea. I also want to seriously consider taking 1 day of this event and doing a trail clean up. I do some volunteer work with the US Forest Service and can arrange the details for all of this, but we need to decide to do it or not.

Matt

Re: Sierra Fest 07'

Here's my thoughts for a potential schedule. Gather at our usual camping spot close to Dinkey Creek. Sat whoever is there can run Brewer Lake and have lunch at the lake for a kickback start, while others arrive in camp. Sunday run Bald Mtn. Mon-Thurs offer two choices, with one group running Dusy and the other group running Red/Coyote Lake. Both groups would meet back at the Dinkey Creek campspot on Thursday. There is a store, ice, showers, and (expensive) gas at Dinkey Creek, and both groups would come back from the trail through Shaver Lake on their way back to Dinkey on Thursday. Those coming just to run Swamp for the weekend would join up Thursday evening at the Dinkey Creek campspot. Friday morning we start the Swamp Lake trail camping that night at Grouse Lake like we usually do, with a nice dinner planned for Fri night. Most will camp two nights at Grouse, and finsih the trail and head for home on Sunday as usual. Those who have far to drive and need to head for home can finsih the trail on Saturday.

The Dusy group would likely spend one night at Thompson Lake and two nights at Ershim Lake, which is a nice pace to run the trail, especially since coming out they'd only have to get back to Dinkey. The Red/Coyote group could run to Mirror Lake or Strawberry Lake for lunch the first day, then on to Coyote Lake to camp for three nights. Folks could relax in camp for two days, make a run to Mirror Lake or Strawberry Lake for lunch one day, or take a very nice hike into the Dinkey Lakes one day.

These are all very scenic trails, with spectacular camping sites on the trails, and would be a very nice combination of fun wheeling, camping, and chilling out with friends.

Matt, I'm not familiar with Blue Canyon.

A short photo shoot of Blue Canyon and a brief description.

Blue Canyon is a blast. Ranging from stock to buggy stuff. Mostly easy stuff with good scenery. Its much lower in elevation so it could very well be to warm to want to camp. Its only a short drive the other side of Rock Creek Rd.

unlimtededitgp7.jpg

51306008hr8.jpg

51306047jw9.jpg

51306087editnh5.jpg

1000801wi5.jpg

There is a ton of fun things to do in the canyon and would be worth spending a day down there.

After this years annual Johnson Valley XJ event, and over 70 rigs in camping with well over 100 people, I can't weight for the next big run. If you did not know Goatman and Capt Ron had a raffle that raised over $3500 and most of that went to the Friends of Panamint Valley to help reopen Surprise Canyon. I only hope this run is half as great as JV was!

I think Richard's schedule sounds like the best plan as of right now. The whole idea behind a run in this area is to provide an event for our newer and less equipped members/rigs to go get their feet wet and have some fun along the way. Nothing in that area is too difficult, but the scenery and the chance to get to know each other better in a relaxed atmosphere is what we hope to accomplish. The run schedule can be flexible depending on how many come out.

Thanks for getting this started Matt.

We will be working on a run schedule for next year and it will be posted in early January. So if anyone would like to host a run, please post in this thread or PM me about when and where you would like to schedule it.

Thanks to all who came out to the chapter runs in 2006, I had a great time, and it was nice meeting new members and getting to know some of you better.

I think the required equipment can be a little more lax than what Matt posted up. Swamp can be run with 31's and one locker, or 33's and open. Coyote is the same, except some may need a strap through one spot. Dusy would need a little stricter requirements, like 33's and one locker. All trails need rock rails and tow points.

I think we need to provide two things, a great schedule for those who want to take a weeks vacation, and yet a solid weekend run for the regulars and those close enough that can't or don't want to use up a weeks vacation.

Another thing that I'd prefer, others would have to say what they think, is leaving enough time to relax and enjoy the pretty camping locations. We could make it with wheeling every day, or make it with some lay days. Past experience shows that most of us want some lay days.

How about Aug 5-12? Should be early enough to avoid any school schedules and late enough to guarantee that all the trails are open.

We can play with various trail options.

SharkXJ said:
I won't be able to go for a whole week but I am definately interested in making part of this run.

I would like to host a run this summer as well. I was thinking of Deer Valley. I ran it twice this summer and had a blast. It's a fun trail.

http://www.californiajeeper.com/deerval/review.htm

I am not sure of a date but I was thinking late June.

Mark, take a look at the calender and see if you can find a date that works for you. The last weekend of June is is probably a good date to shoot for. Thanks for stepping up and helping out the chapter!

Anytime in July would be great for me as my wife and family could make it then. Otherwise I'll b running Dusy alone and they could meet up for the weekend runs if they are up to it.

So if it is Dusy/Coyote during the week and Swamp the last weekend, what isplanned, if anything, for the first weekend?

This is layout that 4 of us have discussed, but have yet to make any decisions on.

Sunday the 5th, split 2 groups for 2 different trails. The first being Dusy Ershim and the second being Red Mountain trails.
These will extend for 3 nights on the trail. Leading everyone back to "base" camp wed. afternoon.
Thursday we will have options. Either use this as another "lay" day or go wheeling into Blue Canyon.
Friday we have still yet to come to any agreement on. I would like to use this day for a total group run on Bald Mtn to get full group shots and just have a good fun filled easy day. Using friday night for our big dinner and possible raffle.
Saturday and Sunday have the possibility to allow a group do Swamp Lake and/or other small trails like Brewer, and Red Mountain area for those who went on Dusy.

This seems like a great layout to me, but really need everyone to give some input.

Scrappy said:
NO stock steering

You do not really mean it, do you ?
Otherwise I am ready.

I am already pumped for 2007 sierra fest. What about Spanish route for some of the stockers?
Cant wait to run the Dusy!

I would also like to do a run/party out at the Pismo Dunes, and possibly hit up some of the trails at La Panza, near Pozo sometime in May. Let me know if this is doable or if May isnt the time. There are some really cool trails out by Coalinga if people would rather do something like that

Slonopotam said:
You do not really mean it, do you ?
Otherwise I am ready.

I think stock steering is OK up to 33's on these trails, but not with 35's. The Dusy run should have a few stricter requirements, since it is a bitch to fix stuff on that long trail where everyone is looking forward to getting into camp at a decent hour. A few of the other trails can be run basically stock. Look at this thread as discussion only, the details of the event will get posted as they are determined.

BTW, I'm sure we'll get into a discussion on the event forum about reliability issues before the event happens.

So, are we on for this run, with dates of Aug 5-12?

I want to get to promoting. :D

We gotta let folks know so they can start to plan their vacations. I'm thinking we'll get some out of stater's that have heard much about the Dusy and would like a chance to run it. Really, it's a pretty unique trail that it's at 10,000' for most of it's length, and it's 33 miles long. For comparison, the Rubicon is 9 miles long.

Goatman said:
So, are we on for this run, with dates of Aug 5-12?

I want to get to promoting. :D

We gotta let folks know so they can start to plan their vacations. I'm thinking we'll get some out of stater's that have heard much about the Dusy and would like a chance to run it. Really, it's a pretty unique trail that it's at 10,000' for most of it's length, and it's 33 miles long. For comparison, the Rubicon is 9 miles long.

I like the dates and the run schedule so far. we still need to iron out a few small details, but this works for me. I say we give it the green light and start getting down to promoting this thing.

Bryan C. said:
I like the dates and the run schedule so far. we still need to iron out a few small details, but this works for me. I say we give it the green light and start getting down to promoting this thing.
What can I do to help. This is my backyard. Give me something to do!

This sound like a great plan. And late enough to ensure all the trails should be open. I don't know if I'll be able to make it for the whole week, but even the last few days should prove to be a lot of fun. Just curious tho, if you fill up at Shaver will that be enough gas to carry you through Dusy/Ersham? Or is extra needed? Anyway, just my two cents, the dates work well for me.

I'm a newbie to this forum and to XJ's. Years ago had many fun times on Rubicon with a CJ5 and my Jeepster Commando. Planning to build an XJ to join up for these events you're planning, but feeling like I'm not planning enough mods to comfortably keep up with you. I know I need to do searches and hit the Modified forum, but you guys know what's really, truly needed to go on your events.

Can you direct me to a SoCal shop or 2 that you know and like for my lift and mods, please?

spacomponents said:
I'm a newbie to this forum and to XJ's. Years ago had many fun times on Rubicon with a CJ5 and my Jeepster Commando. Planning to build an XJ to join up for these events you're planning, but feeling like I'm not planning enough mods to comfortably keep up with you. I know I need to do searches and hit the Modified forum, but you guys know what's really, truly needed to go on your events.

Can you direct me to a SoCal shop or 2 that you know and like for my lift and mods, please?

You may have already posted this in the SoCal chapter forum, but if not that's the place to ask. I know Ryan Brown does work for a lot of the guys, so you could talk to him. Or, get the lift and invite some of the guys over for a lift party......pizza and beer is cheaper than shop labor, and more fun. :)

Back