• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Workdays - Feb. 25 / Feb. 26

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
SATURDAY, February 25 - 2N49 Maintenance
Meet Point 09:00
AM 2N49 Southern End / Palm Ave. San Bernardino
The main focus for Saturday is general maintenance and continued monitoring of trail conditions due to rain erosion.

SATURDAY NIGHT CAMPING
Volunteers for either or both days are welcome to camp with us on at the North Shore Work Center. Please RSVP for camping so I am expecting your arrival as we are behind a locked gate. North Shore Work Center has flush toilets, showers, and flat camping.

SUNDAY, February 26 - Details Pending
Meet Point 1: 9:00 AM North Shore Work Center.

We will decide Sunday's activities pending location conditions and who all signs up to help. I'd love to get a 2N04 workday in but it may be impassable due to snow.

COMMUNICATIONS
CB Radio: The fours. We'll start on 4, if busy we'll bump up to 14, 24, or 34.
2m: 146.585 Simplex

What do I need?
Any vehicle that can do a USFS-rated moderate trail (Stock XJ, okay). We will need 4x4 for this weekend as 2N49 has some serious ruts.

Bring gloves, a hat, and loppers. Please bring light long sleeve shirts for brush work. Closed toe shoes mandatory. Hard hats may be available but if you have your own please bring it. In tick-areas it is best to cover as much skin as possible.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend so we can plan. Please state which days you will be doing the maintenance, whether you are camping, and which meeting point you plan to use for Sunday. Depending on participation levels I may provide lunch one or both days.

Remember folks, you can always come out and work with us on one day and go wheeling the next. You're not committed to working both days if you don't want to.

Thank you for your time, it is appreciated.

I'm in for both of the February dates. Not sure about the October date either.

If you want to do 2N04 it might be best to make it the Saturday trail. I'm sure it'll be passable with varying degrees of effort. It might be pretty much clear too.
This next batch of storms could change everything.

I am donating blood on Saturday, but I would like to drive up that night, camp, and then get stuck in the snow on Sunday. I have to confirm this with the master scheduler first and then see who I can take with.

Lol.
My master scheduler is out of town for the weekend. She's disqualified from giving input according to the relationship agreement.

BTW:
G, I'll be camping Sat night.

Last edited:
Oof. My uncle's in town from Colorado that weekend but will be busy at a Jazz party so I can probably sneak out of town for one or both days.
I don't personally really enjoy driving in snow:wow: , but I could Hyundai it up and meet someone in between San Diego and the mountains. But it'd have to be somewhere that I could then be reasonably dropped back off at my car (i.e. meeting at base of 2N49 might not make sense if we do 2N04 on Sunday).

Does he have jazz hands?

If we are serious about 2N04 for Sunday chains might not be a bad idea.

If we are serious about 2N04 for Sunday chains might not be a bad idea.

I have chains that I have not tried to install yet. I should do that before I need them. When off-road and you only have 1 set, do you put them on the rear still, or up front?

I'll be there Saturday. My rig currently has no rear bumper attached, and, obviously, no rear recovery point. But I gather this won't be an issue unless I slide off the trail.

I'll be there Saturday. My rig currently has no rear bumper attached, and, obviously, no rear recovery point. But I gather this won't be an issue unless I slide off the trail.
Meh I plan on driving my stock WJ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just an update:

I was up on 2N49 yesterday and I'd recommend 4WD for the first half mile or so. There are areas further up that it would definitely be a help. Front tow hooks on a 2WD and you can get by if you don't mind taking a strap at least once.

Crap, crap, crap. If I had read this earlier, I could have reversed my trip. Will be at PSR this weekend; LA two weekends later, with a Tucson work trip in the middle.

Darn, so close, yet so far.

David Bricker / SYR

That's alright David, looks like your east coast weather will be making an appearance for you. It looks like snow (6"-9") is in the forecast for Sunday at the higher (parts of 2N04) elevations.

My son Ronan coming on Sunday. He is 3, never been off-roading, never been in snow, and can't stop talking about this. He wants to build a snowman and have a snow ball fight and go pee behind a tree and help dig out Jeeps stuck in the snow.

Will lunch be provided on Sunday or should I pack some sandwiches?

Back