• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

June Trail Run- Red Mountain, Vernal

OT

NAXJA Forum User
What a great trail!

Three rigs started the day by meeting at Smith's grocery in Vernal. Jason (FloydXJ), Steve (Sandy Steve), and myself, along with our various passengers, left at 930 for the trailhead.

The weather was warm and clear with only a slight breeze. We passed the Steinaker reservoir and took a left onto the dirt road to the trailhead.

Needing to pass through private property to access the trail, we gained permission from the land owner and moved on to the first obstacle. A long uphill slickrock slab with a couple of short ledges and off-camber turns, started the trail with a small shot of adrenaline. After that, it was uphill all the way, with small outcroppings of rocks and tight turns through cedar lined passages, with occasional cliffhangers. The views were spectacular and breathtaking!

About an hour and a half along, we came upon a local group just finishing up on the second real obstacle (and the toughest) on the trail, Commando Corner. After that group made it through, Jason was first to give it a try. He took a tough line and made it through with flying colors. Next was my turn. I took a slightly easier line and breezed right up. Finally, Steve gave it a go. He started out well and was moving smoothly through. However, about halfway up his rear started sliding downhill and to the right, which subsequently slid the front into a lean which seemed like slow motion but also happened so quickly that the damage was done. Steve had flopped the xj onto it's right side, smashing both door windows, cracking the windshield, and pushing in the b-pillar and roof...

We jumped into action, first ensuring that he and Marta were okay, then switching into recovery mode. It was a bad spot for winching, so I lined the TJ up as much in front and to the side as I could and we hooked up using a snatch block and strap around a large boulder. At first the TJ wouldn't hold traction and I had to move to more stable ground in front of the XJ. This only caused the boulder to slide out of it's spot. Jason then took a spot from high above and to the side of the recovery. With both of us pulling, it was good enough to get Steve's jeep back on all fours. We then unhooked and he gave it another go, this time successful!

After cleaning up the broken glass and regrouping, we moved, uneventfully, on to the halfway point and the top of the trail at a small abandoned cabin. This was the lunch stop.

When lunch was over, we rolled on down the mountain. The rest of the trail was mainly a series of downhill ledges and rough rough surfaces. About halfway down it began to rain, which turned the grippy terrain into a wet silty mess. Luckily the rain didn't hit it's peak until we were in our last mile of sandy washes and out onto the road.

This was a great trail with several challenging obstacles and wonderful vistas and beautiful scenery! I wish more could have made it out to join us, but I understand how such short notice can make it difficult to plan a 3+ hour trip to the other side of the state. Maybe next time we can plan it a little more in advance.

Pictures and video will be posted soon!

Cheers!

56859aa2366c0fab6193f085e56b5ece.jpg
b4a37861f5cc54fc22efe04020f1ef85.jpg
8bf4b06600361d208769a21092491782.jpg
24139a989cd54eb0a3dcdcd650c7c5e8.jpg
de7dd9623ac515dc114685f14cf9e8ac.jpg
731dcb02c5ea688c1f6948a2e6b4762d.jpg
2241bfa0a7ce742c927b458828639a95.jpg
2f754cf262408717109a12598bcd6456.jpg
5eb41d081fae7d0682f933c836ecd6b8.jpg

We made it home without problems. The damage was as Terry said, windshield, A-Pillar, B-Pillar, both doors and the glass in them, and of course the roof was pushed in. With a unibody, it probably is not fixable. I will need to locate a body and start transferring all the after-market stuff over. Looks like I won't be running any trails for a while. By the way Terry, I like my trails more expeditionary, not continuous obstacles. However, since you never ran it we really did not know what to expect, I guess.

Although I did not realize it, I passed Ryan in his big-rig propane-hauler in Duschene and then again just after we topped the the ridge beside Jordanelle reservoir. The second time, he laid on the horn big-time, but it was only later that I figured out who was probably in the truck. He texted me, but with the wind and the plastic I put over the windows flapping, I did not get the text until I got home and pretty much cleaned up everything. Yeah, I will be looking for a 1996ish body that is in good condition unless something else totally built shows on the market. Then, I would be making a deal for someone else to have a Rubicon Express Long-arm kit, extra-heavy duty track bar brace and mount, lockers front and rear in the usual Dana 30 and 35's... etc. But, let's let the dust settle right now and thanks to Jason and Terry for righting the green XJ. It's kind of like a plane crash, I guess. Any one that you can walk away from is a good landing.

That is a bit of bad luck Steve. Of course your better half had to be there for that one. I hope she made it through unscathed. I know Jenny would be scarred from that kind of incident, not to mention beating the hell out of me for doing it...

She took it very graciously, as did Steve. I've never seen people less shaken up over a tip or roll...much classier than I would have been. :)

I guess it gets easier after the first time you roll one. When we did it in my 1992 about Thanksgiving 2007 in Kane Springs Canyon, it went clear over on the top. We were alone, but were able to turn it over using a high-lift jack and bracing it with the spare tire. After removing the oil-soaked air filter, we started it and drove it the rest of the way down the canyon and into Moab.

Back