• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 ZJ for sale

JRT1393

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 ZJ I'm trying to get rid of. It has a 4.0/42RE/NP242.

It runs very well and drives decent. There's a "shimmy" in the front end (I believe a proper alignment will fix it). It has 235,000ish miles on it. The muffler was falling apart when I got it, and it has now finished falling apart, so it's loud.

New parts include: Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, speed sensor, transmission filter, shocks all the way around, springs from another stock ZJ that had 102,000 miles on it, new Moog track bar up front, new V8 ZJ steering from O'Reilly, and front brake pads and rotors.

Cosmetically it's in rough shape. The color is "Deep Amethyst". There are a couple dents and dings, and a small hole in the passenger's front door barely big enough to get a finger in (came from the front bumper of a YJ). Peeling clear coat. I cut and folded the lip in the fenders (front and rear) to clear 30" tires (what I had at the time), and you can see where that was done.

Inside it has cloth seats and an overhead console. It's pretty comfortable. There are a of couple leaks (one at the passenger's front door, one in the rear). The headliner is sagging. It has typical ZJ issues electrically. The driver's side front door needs a window motor, and the switch will only roll down 3 of the windows. Keyless entry doesn't work. Cruise control works, but you have to hit the button a couple times to get it to turn on.

I daily drove this Jeep a little over an hour to school for almost a year and a half while my XJ was off the road. Now that I have my XJ back, the ZJ needs to go. It was very comfortable and reliable to drive, and it consistently averaged about 18mpg on the highway cruising 70mph.

In order to drive it home, you'll need a tag, insurance, and a battery (the one in it will not hold a charge).

I'm posting it locally for $1200 OBO. I'll cut a little bit of a deal for a NAXJA member. I need it gone as soon as possible, because college isn't cheap. Thanks for looking!!!

Back