NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 18th, 2005, 17:18
NAXJA Forum User

Adjustment of transfer case Lo range linkage

I have a '92 XJ I-6 with the AW4 auto tranny and the New Process transfer case, 200K mi. I think it is a ?NP 231? - it's the one WITHOUT full time 4WD.

When climbing steeply the transfer case pops out of 4WD Lo range, but Hi range works fine. This Jeep hasn't seen a lot of wheeling so I'm guessing the transfer case is OK and that my linkage needs adjustment. I just replaced both motor mounts and tranny mount and the transfer case popped out both before and after the mounts were replaced. There is no damage to the transmission supporting cross member. If I hold the shift lever I can keep it in lo range.

Anyone know of instructions on how to adjust the linkage?

Thanks!
Old August 18th, 2005, 17:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Adjustment of transfer case Lo range linkage

Place a 1/8" shim/spacer in the back notch in 4wd-low shift gate loosen the linkage adj bolt and move shift arm on t-case to 4wd-low detent and lock adjust bolt.
Old August 18th, 2005, 20:44
NAXJA Member #760

Re: Adjustment of transfer case Lo range linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by langer1
Place a 1/8" shim/spacer in the back notch in 4wd-low shift gate loosen the linkage adj bolt and move shift arm on t-case to 4wd-low detent and lock adjust bolt.
95 FSM doesn't call for a shim, but I think it's probably a good idea.