• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler: WTB aftermarket front bumper

91Woody

NAXJA Forum User
I'm starting to look for a front bumper for my 91 Woody, but am on a tight budget. Anyone planning an upgrade in the near future or thinking of selling soon? Please bear in mind that i am in NH. I am not opposed to a decent homebrew bumper either.
It must have secure tow points.

I have a drivers side Rusty's tow hook bracket I just took off my XJ when I went to a MORE bumper. It would at least give you a secure tow point. I would let it go pretty cheap.

send a pm to nhrocker he should beable to make ya somthing

I have one, if your interested... 150/bo make me an offer...

JPSD008.jpg

JPSD007.jpg

I scored a great deal on an ARB, so I'm done searching for the front bumper!! woohoo.

I hoped to have it installed last night but my sawzall was broken after loaning it out.... I didn't know this until I got it back and tried to use it. I have the old bumper removed, now I just need to trim and mount, but due to work it probably won't get done until Friday.

DSC00074.jpg
Here is my before pic...
My stock bumper was being held on by a measly 2 bolts....and one was loose....not good. I figured something was up with the sagging drivers side.

Last edited:
Let us know when you have that new bumper on...we'll go on a Test Run!!!

woohoo, another NH XJer. Where do you live in NH...local to Manchester?
Now I will have a front tow point and a little insurance for my front end, so I'm much more willing to go on runs. Do you have pics of the CJ and XJ?

96Jeepman, I figured you would have used it to cut your fenders. Did you use a jig saw?

I did get it off Craigslist, I got the lowest price before he decided to keep it....$250. He started it at $500 a while ago and no bites so he kept dropping the price.
Welcome to the forum.

I'll see how strong the two holes at the bottom are....supposedly for D-ring attachments.
What kinda mods are you talking about?
I like the protection for the front end for sure and the mounting spot for two sets of lights...one for fogs and one for driving.

Here is the "in process" photo. I still need to attach the last couple bolts, repaint and add my lights. I didn't paint first because I am mounting it by myself:nono:

new bumper in process.jpg

The two bottom loops are "lashing points", not D ring attachement points, though folks have used them as such. You will note they are only two thicknesses of bumper material welded together.

The top set of "light" tabs are for antenna mounting (popular in Oz), though I guess you could put another set of lights there.

I added a set of full-length mounts, going entirely through the bumper to mount mine. The two inches of the mounts sticking out from the bumper were beefed up with angle iron to 3/4" thick each, welded on both sides, and drilled for D ring shackles. Each side of the bumper is now attached with 9 Grade 8 bolts.

Here's a pic:
Rangeley_6-18.jpg

Here it is prior to mounting (we are fitting the winch):
Will_it_fit.jpg

Here's a close-up of the D ring mounts, before drilling (the center of the "sandwich" is the protruding 2" of the extended 1/4" mounts):
ARBBumper169.jpg

Last edited:
mecompco said:
I added a set of full-length mounts, going entirely through the bumper to mount mine. The two inches of the mounts sticking out from the bumper were beefed up with angle iron to 3/4" thick each, welded on both sides, and drilled for D ring shackles. Each side of the bumper is now attached with 9 Grade 8 bolts.

Here's a close-up of the D ring mounts, before drilling (the center of the "sandwich" is the protruding 2" of the extended 1/4" mounts)
After looking at friends' ARB bumpers in the past, the minimal mounting and lack of decent recovery points always seemed sub-par to me. Nice job beefing that up. In my opinion they should have come that way to begin with.

I did consider adding thru bolts to the mounting points after looking through the existing mounting and seeing what it mounts to. I will not be winching as I don't have a winch yet, but when I do get one I will definately be beefing up the mounting points... time to get some metal fab skills and equipment.

Back