NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 21st, 2019, 16:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 8.25 limited slip disc??

Oops, ok.
But is the inner piece on the lsd type meant to be flat or have a slight concave is my question really
Old August 21st, 2019, 16:58
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I'm not sure. But it looks like allegedly Dana Spicer makes a clutch kit that fits the 28, 35, 36, 44, and 8.25. doesn't mention spline count at all and the splines in the pictures look too large and coarse to go to the axleshafts anyways. Can anyone confirm that the clutches spline to the side gears and that those axles all use the same kit? I don't feel like tearing mine apart just to look at it.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 04:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
He hasn't posted here for 12yrs!!!
Ok, fair call, but seems you can't answer the QUESTION I asked.
Why are you replying to an old post then if so old, without an answer!
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:25
NAXJA Forum User

If you look at the different pics regarding 8.25 rebuild kits they appear to be all flat.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...046x/overview/
Old August 22nd, 2019, 16:06
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, can you answer my question then?
Old August 22nd, 2019, 17:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down under View Post
Ok, can you answer my question then?
Quote:
If you look at the different pics regarding 8.25 rebuild kits they appear to be all flat.
I thought I did, did you have another?
Old August 23rd, 2019, 07:14
NAXJA Member

auto locker replaces the spiders, you still need an open carrier. should be silly cheap.
Old September 11th, 2019, 15:56
NAXJA Forum User

I literally just put mine back together today and you need spicer PN 701046X. It comes with the spring washer and the clutches that go on the side gears.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but the washer next to the side gear is a spring washer and it has a curve that gives the LSD tension. Mine were both cracked when I took it apart. The "washer" next to the carrier is a clutch.

If you are talking about the trust washers on the spider gears, you are out of luck, there is no replacement available and best option is to axle swap or switch to an open diff.

It is a royal PITA to get the thrust washers back in but it is possible.
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:24
NAXJA Forum User

Cheers, because mine had been T-boned, I was unsure it had been concaved due to impact or not.
I'm astonished that this principle is the spring washer used!
Seems they are prone to cracking and making a mess in the gears!
Currently hunting down an open 8.25 carrier, and put an Aussie locker in it.
But rare and then expensive here.
Hopefully i only just have to swap over my ring gear to keep the same.
And put new carrier bearings in. + dial the new one in etc.
Any troubles you guys think I will hit, except of the cook finding out?
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:34
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Well luckily the 8.25 is a side adjuster style axle so getting your ring gear backlash back where it started will be far easier than on a Dana rear axle.

BTW some Dodge Durango and Dakota had 8.25s as well and also I believe some 1500 class full-size vans. This may aid your hunt if you are junkyard scrounging. Just make sure you get it for the right spline count axles, I've been told that 27 and 29 spline carriers are not the same. Luckily the 8.25 carrier break is 2.47 down vs 2.76 up so it's unlikely you'll have to take that into account.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 15:20
NAXJA Forum User

Geezer...... the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know! Ha.
Ok what is a "carrier break" / 2.47 down etc in reference of?
Old September 22nd, 2019, 15:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Sorry mate, I was a bit confused. The term spring washer out here in oz is a totally different
Concept.
I originally thought this washer was concaved due to T-boned impact at first.
My understanding now is the first shim/washer/clutch closest to the center on each side the "spring" . It has a slight convex, almost unnoticeable!
The "S" spring design seems a far better choice.
The 4 retainers are rather flimsy as well.
Old September 27th, 2019, 12:11
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Geezer...... the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know! Ha.
Ok what is a "carrier break" / 2.47 down etc in reference of?
It's got to do with the "deck height" of the carrier - the flange that the ring gear bolts to is at a different offset from one side of the carrier to the other depending on what range of gear ratios it supports, to avoid manufacturers having to make ring gears really thick for the numerically higher ratios. Aftermarket typically makes gearsets that fit the stock carriers for the appropriate ratio range, but also "thick" gearsets that allow you to put deeper ratio ring gears on a shallower ratio stock carrier instead of buying a deeper ratio range carrier.

For example, on a dana 30, the carrier break is at 3.54 to 3.73 - if you have 3.54 or lower ratios, you use the lower carrier, if you use 3.73 or higher ratio gears, you use the higher carrier.

Example, from a dana 44:

A "thick" gearset has a ring gear that is 0.32" taller to make it bolt onto the numerically lower ratio carrier on the left, while having a ratio that would typically be used with the numerically higher ratio carrier on the right. The other direction is not possible as the pinion gets large enough that the teeth would have to be cut so deep into the ring gear that they would interfere with the tips of the ring gear bolts and the ring gear would be so thin it wouldn't be strong enough.

An 8.25 carrier break is at 2.47 down vs 2.76 up, and the lowest ratio ever put in an XJ/MJ from the factory was 3.07 and we 4x4 guys generally go even deeper than stock, so this is not a concern for you unless you are sourcing a carrier from a vehicle that has gears 2.47 or lower (numerically.)

I seem to recall the Durango I pillaged for my 8.25 LSD carrier had 3.92 gears, not sure what most of them have though.

Last edited by kastein; September 27th, 2019 at 12:14.
Old September 29th, 2019, 06:49
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Cheers, because mine had been T-boned, I was unsure it had been concaved due to impact or not.
I'm astonished that this principle is the spring washer used!
Seems they are prone to cracking and making a mess in the gears!
Currently hunting down an open 8.25 carrier, and put an Aussie locker in it.
But rare and then expensive here.
Hopefully i only just have to swap over my ring gear to keep the same.
And put new carrier bearings in. + dial the new one in etc.
Any troubles you guys think I will hit, except of the cook finding out?
What year is your jeep c8.25 98+ are 29 spline 96 and older are 27 spline 97 is a mix of both just a heads up
Old October 1st, 2019, 03:29
NAXJA Forum User

Mine is the 8.25, 29 spline, 3.54.
Think it was imported and fitted.
97 xj sports extreme.
Exported to Australia