• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Injector #3 Misfire

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having some problems lately with the usual #3 injector misfire on hot starts common to 2000 model year XJs with the 4.0. It usually manifests itself when starting the vehicle warm and takes a minute or so of lumpy idling to clear. Checked with the dealer today, and the prescribed debris shield fix was performed sometime in 2002 to alleviate the problem. So, my questions:

- Apart from the foil heat shield placed on top of the manifold, were any other changes made as part of the TSB?

- Heat soak while the vehicle is parked seems to be the issue. Anyone tried heat wrap on the fuel rail and/or injectors to fight the problem? If so, was it at all successful?

This is a fairly minor thing, but it's starting to drive me up the wall. Any help would be appreciated - I've checkd through some of the older threads, but most advise having the TSB performed, not what to do if the TSB work isn't holding.

Dr. Dyno said:
This should work for you and it'll keep the intake manifold runners (plus the air inside them) cooler:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/manifold.html

Nice - that even fits into my budget :) Thanks for the heads-up on that; I forgot your site even had it up there.

Quick question for you - I was able to find the aluminised heat barriers, but had zero luck on the straps (looks like they've discontinued the part number you used). Any recommendations on a substitute?

looks like a great fix to me.. I will be ordering the shield in the am..

BUT I have a stupid question..is the shield used around the intake manifold or on the exhaust header or in between them?

thanks..

Seamoose said:
BUT I have a stupid question..is the shield used around the intake manifold or on the exhaust header or in between them?

From reading the writeup on Dr. Dyno's site:

"I took off the adhesive backing and manipulated it into place on the underside of the intake manifold covering the whole area... The reflective surface faces downwards."

So it sounds like it slots between the intake and exhaust.

casm said:
....had zero luck on the straps (looks like they've discontinued the part number you used). Any recommendations on a substitute?

Yeah, try part # THE-13101

casm said:
So it sounds like it slots between the intake and exhaust.

It's stuck on the underside of the intake manifold with the shiny reflective surface facing downwards onto the header.

Dr. Dyno said:
Yeah, try part # THE-13101

Thanks, much appreciated.

It's stuck on the underside of the intake manifold with the shiny reflective surface facing downwards onto the header.

Got it... Please tell me this doesn't involve removing the intake manifold to get it to fit? I'm assuming from the writeup it can just sort of be slotted in.

Back