• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ owner with questions

All the FAQ's are listed in the FAQ and writeups...... it's it's own subforum
https://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165

I /JUST/ realized that was out in the main forum page. DOH. I overlooked it with the forum being broken down into models the way it is lol

Drive it wheel it and learn.

Put parts getting wrenching to good use.

I feel like maybe I need to clarify a few things. I'm not here to learn how to wrench. I wrench every day as a profession. Been wrenching on things since I was a kid. I ran my own company as a mobile service, am starting another one soon. I've spent a lot of time in the Ford and Mazda world, and have even developed and sold parts for certain motor swaps until we figured out exactly how to make some OEM parts do the same thing.

I'm not here to learn how to wrench, I'm here to learn about the intricacies and details of what can be done to THIS platform. And as I've been digging further and further into the pages (I'm 70 some pages back into the mod forum, sitting in 2017 right now), I've got a pretty interesting list of stock stuff I can use to make this a pretty fun daily driver with potential to go play a little.

I don't expect the 2.5 to be capable of extreme wheeling, and I'm not planning to reconfigure what appears to be a VERY uncommon build combo. I'm merely looking to enhance it some. If I get back into offroad, honestly I'm not planning on much more than hitting the beaches, or mild trails.

Oh it's surprisingly spunky for an old single cam 4 cyl. stopped at Chrysler today to get the printout of the original options. Supposedly has a 20 gallon tank under it!

I think a 20 gallon tank is what most all of them came with.

You can modify the vent tube inside the tank and get it up a bit past 25 gallon. Just don't fill it all the way and leave it sitting out in the hot sun.

I forget what year the change over happened but the 20 gallon tank became standard across the line either in the late 80s or early 90s.

Front wing windows are hard to find and people want an arm and a leg for them. I scored a set out of a late 80s XJ from a guy who was parting one out for 40 dollars along with a few other odds and ends. The passenger side wing window is like new but the driver's side is all worn out and I can't find parts for it anywhere.

Wing windows currently on Craigslist. I have no affiliation with seller...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/d/san-mateo-1995-jeep-cherokee-xj-front/6959459009.html

Good Luck

Wing windows currently on Craigslist. I have no affiliation with seller...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/d/san-mateo-1995-jeep-cherokee-xj-front/6959459009.html

Good Luck

Much appreciated, but those are the fixed wings. I've already got those. If you happen to see a set of the vent style, i've got no problem paying freight.

So I've had a chance to drive it, get a feel for everything. She definitely needs some work.
Front end needs a total rebuild. Detroit axle has a kit on amazon for 225, comes with upper and lower arms, upper and lower balljoints, stab links, and everything for the steering. As long as I don't find any play in the balljoints, I'll save those for next year and do the wheel bearings and all the ujoints at the same time. Prolly do springs and shocks at the same time.

Also need to revamp the cooling system. I had to pack some JB Weld SteelStik under the radiator cap flange so that the cap had surface to grab to and close tight. Every other drive, gauge seems to be bouncing around under 200, and then eventually starts to hover around 210-220.
Between a local radiator supplier and my pricing at O'Reilly, I can get the water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, belt, water outlet (just in case), and hoses for about 200 total.

Almost didn't make it home from work tonight. Got in early, took a few to crawl under and get a better look at the floors and everything else, realized the back of a tire was wet. Long story short, had a brakeline in the process of blowing out. Pulled the line and threw a plug in the junction for nowto get it back home. Looks like i'm in for all new lines too.

Exhaust is multiple pieces, and the redone rear section is twisted enough I can't get the tailpipe up into the hanger.

All in all, it's about what I expected out of a 23 year old heep.

I figure a couple weekends of work and she's solid and ready for the winter. Meanwhile, off to keep reading through for more stuff to do!

I've used Detroit Axle parts on other cars, including a street car that I abuse like a whore in the slums, and their parts have held up great.
This Cherokee is never going to see offroad like a lot of other folks here. It's going to primarily be a street vehicle. The DA parts will be just fine.

Anywho, moving back to one of my previous questions. I had asked if the injector upgrade that works for the 4.0 would work for the 2.5. Not necessarily as a power enhancer, but as a step towards overall running better and longevity.
So I was bored at work today, and while continueing to browse through NAXJA, it occurred to me I should look at my catalog, and compare injectors. Would you like to know what I found?
The same injectors are used in the following:
96-00 XJ 2.5
96-98 XJ 4.0
96-98 WJ 4.0
96-98 WJ 5.2
98 WJ 5.9
97-02 TJ 2.5
97-98 TJ 4.0

Now I don't recall if I saw specific years that used the Neon injectors, but looking up 96-98 Neon showed the same injector body type, but with 4hole instead of 1hole nozzles.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the injector upgrade will benefit the small handful of us with 4cylinders just as much as the rest of you guys with the 4.0

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the injector upgrade will benefit the small handful of us with 4cylinders just as much as the rest of you guys with the 4.0

Personally, when I swapped in my injectors all I got was better throttle response. Not better MPG's or more power and honestly it could have just been from having fresh injectors in there. Would I do it again, probably, but I'm not spending some of these crazy amounts these places are charging.

Renix is 87-90 model year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The term "Renix" refers to the design used in these early XJ's for the electronic ignition/fuel injection/transmission control systems. Prior to the purchase of the Jeep brand by Chrysler, AMC had made the decision to utilize this solution which came from a joint development effort by REnault and beNdIX. This era of XJ had some unique challenges not the least of which was that they were not ODBII compatible and required special diagnostic hardware to troubleshoot. The '91 model year used the newer Chrysler designed ignition/fuel injection system which also led to several mechanical changes in the head, sensors and intake. This is why it often comes up in threads because (for example), you can't just grab a throttle body for a '91 and install it on a '90 (or vice versa). The Renix version is completely different and it simply won't fit.

HTH
Todd

Yeah that's what sucked about my 68 VW. It worked but had no memory or learning capabilities so all the input sensors had to be "spot" on!

Back