• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 swap sources?

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Been thinking of swapping my 231 for a 242. What model and year Jeeps are good donors? I realize my XJ has the 23 spline and should stay with later models. I have seen several 242J's off of ZJ and WJ's but did not know if they would work since they are not using the AW4.

Thanks, Angus

Tempting for sure, but I want to put a SYE on the 242 and need to drive my XJ till its ready.
Thank you though!

Just to make sure; a 242 off a WJ will bolt up. Looking at one on ebay and dont want to get something I will have to convert.

Thanks, Angus

Angus said:
Just to make sure; a 242 off a WJ will bolt up. Looking at one on ebay and dont want to get something I will have to convert.

Thanks, Angus
You need to be concerned about spline lengthalso,TJ's,ZJ's,and WJ use different transmissions.

OK, thanks thats what I needed to know. I plan on opening the "new" 242 when I get it for a SYE, but I dont want to buy a new input also. Sticking with a XJ unit then.

DT100th,
Living in KS, we get weard weather like hard rain, ice and snow. Depending on the city you can go from dry streets to snow in a blink. The full-time feature is just nice to have.

Angus

Ok cool thought it might be for a ratio or strenght issue .

i have a spare 242 on an auto box the cost of shipping to you from thre UK would not be worth it.

Back