• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting a new 08 Sequoia for the wife, anyone else have a 08?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well the plan is for our 04 grand we going to the wifes sister and we are getting her 04 expedition and selling it to car max. Paying off my truck and getting the wife a new sequoia.

Anyone have the new version Sequoia? We were going either expedition, Tahoe or almada. Then about 2 weeks ago we read about the new Sequoia and I saw the over 400ftlbs torque and like 385hp and was sold on paper. We went and drove each of the suvs today and the sequoia did drive the best initially and the quality seemed nicer then any of the others.

Cost for the bare bones SR5 is 35600 msrp and costco is about 2200 less. Every basic opt on the others is included on the bare one with the Seq. Seems like a no brainer with that power and 10000lbs towing at like 33500.

Anyone have any constructive input?

check the tundra forums, those engines were snapping camshafts at first, don't know if the problem has been fully corrected yet.

ROBERTK said:
Well the plan is for our 04 grand we going to the wifes sister and we are getting her 04 expedition and selling it to car max. Paying off my truck and getting the wife a new sequoia.

Anyone have the new version Sequoia? We were going either expedition, Tahoe or almada. Then about 2 weeks ago we read about the new Sequoia and I saw the over 400ftlbs torque and like 385hp and was sold on paper. We went and drove each of the suvs today and the sequoia did drive the best initially and the quality seemed nicer then any of the others.

Cost for the bare bones SR5 is 35600 msrp and costco is about 2200 less. Every basic opt on the others is included on the bare one with the Seq. Seems like a no brainer with that power and 10000lbs towing at like 33500.

Anyone have any constructive input?

What happened to Sequoia's wife??? ;)

gcurtis said:
What happened to Sequoia's wife??? ;)
yeah that was something along the lines of my first thought: "I thought he wasn't married yet"...... guess early morning forum reading is at least a three pass task ;)

i was thinking whats wrong with the old sequoia? i mean he's a little run down and dented, but hes got character!

The few people I know that drive Sequoias really seem to like them.(none are 2008) They basically use them as soccer mom/family type cars though. I don't know about a tow rig. Seems a bit short to me for a 10,000 pound tow rating.

88trailcrawler said:
The few people I know that drive Sequoias really seem to like them.(none are 2008) They basically use them as soccer mom/family type cars though. I don't know about a tow rig. Seems a bit short to me for a 10,000 pound tow rating.

Well its not very short, or is it?

------Seq- Expy -Tahoe -F150 supercrew
WB 122" 119" 116" 138"
Len 205 206 202 223
wgt 5730 ----- 5265 5188
HP 381 300 320 300
Tq 401 365 340 365
tow10K 9200 7500 9500

So it seems that its on par with the other listings if you compare specs?

what are you plans for towing with it? it may not be an issue for you.

I would not consider any of those for a legit tow rig for anything over 5-6 thousand pounds. But alot depends on your needs.

You can save some $$ and buy my wife's 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71:

PICT0158.jpg

PICT0162.jpg

It is dark green and has 52,000 miles, towing package, 3rd row seating, power everything, tan leather seats. We just put brnad new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on it.

I towed my XJ with it once and another XJ once. The thing did awesome!

Price is only $20,000.00

88trailcrawler said:
what are you plans for towing with it? it may not be an issue for you.

I would not consider any of those for a legit tow rig for anything over 5-6 thousand pounds. But alot depends on your needs.

Towing a 1600lbs trailer with a aprox 3500lbs jeep and 2000 in gear/supplies, gas etc. About once a month at most and driving the wife and new baby around most of the time otherwise. But with the need to comfortably load me (6'5") my 15yo daughter, car seat, wife (5'10"), stroller and related baby needs, for a day of local activities.

why do you not concider any of them legit? Every spec that related to towing capability exceeds from what I remember that of what any ford F250 10 yrs ago had as well as most even in a 3/4ton 7 yrs ago. Even in todays superduty F250 its very close but the F250 is 137"wb and 227" long. But brakes are the same Dia between a new F250 and the seq. as is the weight being very close. Not to mention the frame being superior in the new Seq as compared to the F-250's of 10-12 yrs ago.

Just dont see how at like 9000lbs the sequoia wouldnt be ligit? Can you shead some reasoning as to why you say that?

rpraterxj said:
You can save some $$ and buy my wife's 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71:

It is dark green and has 52,000 miles, towing package, 3rd row seating, power everything, tan leather seats. We just put brnad new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on it.

I towed my XJ with it once and another XJ once. The thing did awesome!

Price is only $20,000.00

Haha thanks for the offer. I am sure its nice and all. But not even close to what we are looking for in ride quality or power. :eeks1:

Suburban 2500 > 08 Sequoia.
I'd expound, but your last comment tells me you've made the decision already.

Robert- don't let me spoil your decision. Now that I think about it I have a buddy who tows his fairly large travel trailer with a sequioa. It is not a walk in the park, but he does pretty good.

Sounds like you have done the research and have a good idea of what the vehicle is capable of and what you needs are. Finding a truck for daily family driving that is capable of performing as a tow rig requires some comprimise.

A lot of factors come into play when choosing a tow rig. It is not as easy as adding up your trailer weight and comparing it to the manufacturers tow rating. Tow ratings are actually tow limits and do not include the weight of vehicle options, occupants or gear. Also not considered is the road manners of the trailer, weight balance, length, wind resistance, etc. Just because a vehicle "can" tow a certain weight doesn't mean it will do it comfortably.

Wtihout going into detail, my towing experience has made me a believer in overkill when it comes to choosing a tow rig. Unfortunatly that does not leave many family friendly options, but it does take the fatigue and stress factor out of towing, especially when you are hauling the family in the tow rig with you.

Personally with the amont of weight you have estimated, and the number of times you plan to tow and considering the precious cargo you are going to have with you up front, I would consider a 3/4 ton suburban or a 3/4-1ton crew cab. (I am sure your wife won't be as happy on a daily basis) The first time you need to make quick move to avoid an accident, or you need to drive all night after a long day you will me happy with more tow rig.

And finally consider the longevity, maintenance and operating cost of the tow rig, comparing one that is often towing at or near it's limit to one that isn't working very hard to pull your trailer down the road.

Last edited:
Ronbo said:
Well I havent or I would have not asked.

But you dont seem to have any "constructive input" only some false mathmatical expression haha

really though..

Explain your theory?

I will do a basic comparision on edmunds to see what your talking about though for now.

I do believe though without researching that the Sub. will be significantly lower on the Torque to wieght and HP to weight as well as about 5-10$ more and alot less around city friendly? but will check it out.

Ronbo said:

Well initially the sub in a 2500 to sequoia is

-------------- Sub - Seq
turning cir - 45.3 - 39
tow Rate -9600 - 10000
gas mileage is higher on Seq
width - 79.1 - 79.9
height - 76.8 - 74.6
weight - 6039 - 5730
ground clear- 9.1 - 9.9
front headrm - 41.1 - 39.7
rear head rm - 38.5 - 39.4
fnt should rm - 65.3 - 66.4
rear shld rm - 65.2 - 65.6
frnt leg room - 41.3 - 42.5

Not to mention I just read at Edmunds:Optional third-row seat doesn't fold flat, acceleration is sluggish when fully loaded, portly curb weight hampers handling. as for the Surb.

The Seq has 20 more ft/lbs of torque and 30 more Hp for 300 less lbs. And the Seq has 4wh independent sys. larger wheels with less sidewall but not "low pro's", Seq has front and rear sway bars, and self leveling avail. and brake assist.

I will say that the surb has the payload cap won with 2561lbs over the Seq at 1350lbs.

I have a supercrew F150 now with a better HP to wieght ratio then the surb. same Wheelbase and more then equal rear axle and ratio. I can tow my setup if needed but going over the pass's its a struggle at times and not at all "easy" on it. It sure looks as though the Seq would handle this easily and be "working" alot less to do so then the Surb.

I was very close to going Excursion with teh turbo diesel, but with how Big and heavy and such, this Seq sure looks very close on paper?

I dont see how the Surb 2500 could be any more roomy and more comfy to "drive all night" being narrower, less shoulder room and hip room? As for safer, thats a possibility but not a given.

You can say I am sold. But I am just wanting hard facts or true comparision from sommeone that has been in both maybe? The new sequoia is Significantly different then last years. I would not even consider last years.

I think the towing benefits of a greater wheelbase, weight and load capacity(9 seats available), leaf spring rear suspension, solid axle rear(vs Toy IRS), 8 lug(vs Toy 5 lug), Corp 14 bolt(vs whatever weaker option Toy uses :)) should be obvious unless you're just trolling. :0

You mention HP/weight ratio, IMO, there's a lot more to a good tow rig than just that. A Cummins or Powerstroke rig probably have a lower HP/weight ratio than a Sequoia, so there goes that single concept...hehe....

At my work we have 5 of the new tundra's and while comfy they tow like crap have had many issues with the abs and one with less than 20K miles snaped a cam shaft and one other needs a new tranny at 23K. (towing duties consists of a single axel trailer weighing in at about 2000# fully loaded with a crews gear)

All 5 trucks are for sale and replaced with chevy 2500's

if your gona tow your rig and all the gear get something capable of doing so in real life not just on paper

oh and the guy who decided to buy toyota's in stead of chevy's was fired.

Well there no way in hell were doing a underpowered surb. So if its not the seq and it has to be a suv what other options do all u think then? And why?

As for the cam issues. It was told by edmunds though that there were 20 total in the nation and that toy was replacing the entire motor with a overnight delivery to your dealer of choice and offering a replacment truck to use how ever u were using ur truck (const. Gardener, whatever). Not to mention then issueing a extended warr for free. So they fully stood behind that issue it seems?

In any case getting a suv today or tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Maybe back to the expedition.

I just bought a used expedition and I love it! Haven't towed with it, but I don't think its gonna be an issue! I don't have much experiance with either, but I do love the expedtion and I have only had it two weeks!

Back