• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vs. 4Runner

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think, which is better? With the IFS I know the 4runner won't do as well off road but Toyotas seem to have a pretty good rep for quality, though IFS costs a lot more to lift. I'm also 6'1" and think the 4Runner would fit me better, I don't have to duck to get in. Ohio is really only good for mud pits anyway, not much rock crawling here, so the lack of articulation won't kill me.
:dunno:

A friend of mine has a 96 with the Factory Electric rear locker. With an OME 2" lift and some 33" Revos that bastard goes everywhere. Do to lack of flex he does it on 3 wheels most of the time but it goes. Being a Toyota you don't have to worry about a D35 etc. Built like brick shithouses and priced like gold shithouses :).

EDIT the 3.0 V6 is horrible. You need a newer one with the 3.4 or one with a 4 cylinder IMO.

My Xj fits me a little bit better since I made up some mounts for the seat to go back about 3 inches. I also tilted the front of it up a bit. Fits like a glove. Not like a surgeons either. BTW. I'm 6'8".

Ukraine Train said:
What do you guys think, which is better? With the IFS I know the 4runner won't do as well off road but Toyotas seem to have a pretty good rep for quality, though IFS costs a lot more to lift. I'm also 6'1" and think the 4Runner would fit me better, I don't have to duck to get in. Ohio is really only good for mud pits anyway, not much rock crawling here, so the lack of articulation won't kill me.
:dunno:

Off the showroom, the 4Runner is better at most everything. Why wouldnt it be, it cost nearly twice as much (same goes for used market) If you take the extra money you would save by buying an XJ and put it into aftermarket upgrades, then its a toss up.
I would have no problem owning or wheeling a 4Runner. Like you said, unless you crawl rocks, the iFS isnt a big deal, especially if its locked. The killer is the initial price of the 4Runners, the price of lifts and the price of armor. The good thing is you can slap 32s on it stock and 33s with a small lift.
I say get what fits you dont look back.

I would put my stock XJ up against a stock 4runner anyday of the week.:moon:

HilltopXJ said:
I would put my stock XJ up against a stock 4runner anyday of the week.:moon:

I would put my stock Kia up against a 4Runner any day of the week. That doesnt mean it would beat it at anything other than MPG. .:moon:

GoliathJeeper said:
My Xj fits me a little bit better since I made up some mounts for the seat to go back about 3 inches. I also tilted the front of it up a bit. Fits like a glove. Not like a surgeons either. BTW. I'm 6'8".

me too ! well i am 6'4 245 i made seat mounts for leg room, i need to be careful getting in not to hit my head but thats true on allot of stuff going down stairs in homes, signs in stores etc and i am not freakishly tall. The head room inside an xj with a seat up right perfectly straight, and if i dont slouch and jam my butt back in the sit , sit up ridgid back i can graze the head liner with my hair. I never sit like that though.

4 runners are great. I personally think the XJ is MUCH better value as you can get the same year xj as 4 runner (asuming your looking 2001 or older since thats the last year for xj's) you can score a similarly equiped xj as the 4 runner for thousands less. The only reall benefit is the 8" rear axle is a better axle than the 8.25 chryco or the d35, and you could get electric locker in rear. Also you could get electronic stability control, traction control, and a decent ABS on late model 4 runners (i personally dont want this crap on a wheeler, even part time wheeler, if it was dedicated DD status i would probably like it though). If you are looking at 1990-2001 4 runner i think the xj is a better value, and at 6'1 you will fit fine unless you have a vanilla ice box top hair cut :laugh2: or a cowboy hat you wear while driving.

I can email you pics of how far back my seat goes. Its about 5" from hitting the rear seat, lol i have luxury coach like leg room.

Last edited:
Ukraine Train said:
Well I came across a '95 4Runner that needs a head gasket but other than that is in great shape. It's only $1500, I'm going to call the guy tomorrow for more information. I can throw a couple hundred at it and still be cheaper than a comparable XJ. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the input.

is it rusty? what engine does it have.

Like said before stay away from the 3.0. I got pretty skilled at tearing that friggin thing down to replace burnt valves and head gaskets. But other than the crappy motor the thing was pretty solid.

any body got a write-up or pics to show how to make the brackets for the eat to go back farther

One thing that I like about toyotas is the ease of gearing the t cases or pairing them up. I also like the rear axle's strength. It is not uncommon to find a well built (duel cased, geared, sas'd, locked) early 90's toy for around $5-6k but they may not be pretty to look at. Even then you have a lesser engine than in the xj.

haha that's pretty sweet, but i have to say, im 6'5" and i can sit comfortably in my xj without having to modify the brackets. Maybe its the power seats...:dunno:

here are the pics motorcityxj sent me
maybe not
the pics have his last name on them from the digi cam. i have cropped it out and everytime i upload them to photobucket it uploads the one one with his name not the edited one so if ya want pic pm him he does not want to post the ones with his name.

Last edited:
91Limited said:
haha that's pretty sweet, but i have to say, im 6'5" and i can sit comfortably in my xj without having to modify the brackets. Maybe its the power seats...:dunno:

for me i am close to the headliner, that wasnt the problem, it bothered me hitting my knee on the steering column, and the way if you have long legs and big size 14 feet you have to kinda heel and toe action on the outside edge of my shoe. Plus more leg room never hurt anyone .... well in front that is, if anyone wants to sit behind me they better have lost their legs in an accident and just be a torso or have cotton hill leg syndrome (from king of the hill "had his shins blowed off by a japanmans machinegun" in combat). Because with my seat mod there is about 4-5 inches in the rear TOPS! LOL

97XJ Jeeper said:
here are the pics motorcityxj sent me
maybe not
the pics have his last name on them from the digi cam. i have cropped it out and everytime i upload them to photobucket it uploads the one one with his name not the edited one so if ya want pic pm him he does not want to post the ones with his name.

darn ill fix it:doh: :dunce: <--- me

sorry i am figuring this out as i go along with photo shop, total newb :rattle: :D

ok there it is, sorry for the imageshack hack job, i only used it once before about 2 months ago, and never used photoshop. enjoy. Ill do a write up if anyone wants, because i now have recaro LXF cloth seats in front, and i need to adjust the drivers one with some spacers. I have new mounts that are fancy laser cut 1/4" steel (my buddy did for me at work) that way i can detail the order, though if you look under your seat its a pretty dang easy and obvious mod.

Last edited:
I have a friend who's on his second 4Runner. Started with a 90 put some 31s on it and it did awesome. Someone hit him on the highway so he bought a Tacoma then got married and now his wife has a 4Runner. She liked his old one so she got her own. Very nice vehicles. However if fit is a concern for you, my XJ has more legroom than his 4Runner did. I drove the 90 on a somewhat regular basis. I'm 6'2".

Back