• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubular Race Car Project - Baja, Corr, JeepSpeed, Off-Road Race Type

A Satria

NAXJA Forum User
just a thought,...:repair:

At the moment, I am planning to built another Race Car, Pick-Up style for

Race Type :
  • Combination of Jeep Speed, and closed track Corr and used to be Mickey Thompson Stadium Race
  • Max straight, flat less than 1/4 miles
  • Lots of dips, bump at various speed
  • Surface track conditions dry, muddy, gravel
  • Tires ussually BFG, various size
Planned Built-Up :
  1. Full Tubular Race Car - Pick-Up Style
  2. Front End Body Type, undecided yet
  3. Side Body Type, undecided yet
  4. Color, undecided yet
  5. Wheelbase approx 100 inch to 120 inch, not decided yet
  6. Wheeltrack approx standard YJ
  7. Front :
    1. Dynatrac Dana 44, LS, YJ Width, Currie inner Axles
    2. Dynatrac Front Disc Brake
    3. KINGSHOCKS 2.5" Coil Over Shock, 16" Dual Rate Coil Over set-up, Remote Reservoir, KINGSHOCK COILS
    4. KINGSHOCKS 2.5" Shock, 16", Tripple By-Pass Tube, Remote By-Pass,
    5. 16-18" Travel (1:1 ratio), mounted on Axle
    6. 8.5" x 15" wheels (width and brand not decided yet)
    7. BFG Tires (size not decided yet)
    8. 4-Link Set-Up
    9. Upper and Lower Arm, In-House Custom Made
  8. Rear :
    1. Dynatrac Dana 60, Locker, YJ Width, Currie inner Axles
    2. Dynatrac Rear Disc Brake
    3. KINGSHOCKS 2.5" Coil Over Shock, 16" Dual Rate Coil Over set-up, Remote Reservoir, KINGSHOCK COILS
    4. KINGSHOCKS 2.5" Shock, 16", Tripple By-Pass Tube, Remote By-Pass,
    5. 20-22" Travel (1:1.5 ratio), mounted on Lower Arm
    6. 8.5" x 15" wheels (width and brand not decided yet)
    7. 4-Link Set-Up
    8. Upper and Lower Arm, In-House Custom Made
    9. BFG Tires (size not decided yet)
  9. Engine, Chevy 350 Street Race Prep (approx 300-375) HP on Flywheel
  10. Transmission,
    1. Automatic TH-700-R4, modified to FULL Manual with engine brake OR
    2. NP-231 Modified for Off-Road racing, Close Ratio Gear by ALBINS Gear, AUstralia
  11. T-Case, NP 231 or NP 242 for All Wheel Drive option.
  12. Electronic Control Unit, HALTECH
    1. Controlling Fuel Injection (Full Sequential)
    2. Controlling Ignition (Wasted Spark module), Individual Coils for each cylynder
  13. Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter - BOSCH
  14. 4 Barrel Billet Alum, 1100 CFM Fuel Injection Throttle Body by ACCUFAB
L200-01.jpg

l200-021Side.jpg

0204or_prerunner02_zoom.jpg

Questions :
  1. Built-Up process would takes approx 2 full months.
  2. This is not an XJ, YJ, or anything related to JEEP, nor does it have Jeep engine. Only Jeep NP T-Case and maybe Jeep AX-15 Modified Trans.
  3. Would anyone be interested in this built-up process ?
  4. If anyone is interested, would it be OK to post it on NAXJA ? (I used to post built-up of tubular race car on PIRATES, FOURWHEELER, ETC, specializing on such kind of racing...)
Thank you very much

-Andhi-
Jakarta, INDONESIA

I sure wouldn't mind seeing it here, and I doubt anyone else would either. The sub-title for this forums says "If you are worried about your project still being called an XJ or MJ, this is the place for you". That sounds good enough to me. Or there is always the "Other (non-XJ) tech discussion" here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=48

I've got 2 questions for you; first, why not independant front suspension for this kind of use? second, how much money do you have!?

BrettM said:
I've got 2 questions for you;
  1. why not independant front suspension for this kind of use ?
  2. how much money do you have !?
BrettM,
Thanks for your interest in the Built-Up

1. Independent, There are only handfull of racer in the US that even have Front Independent that can have about 16-20 inch of travel and still running Four Wheel Drive.
Even with the existing DANA-44 (and sometimes my 9 inch) on front and using LS, I broke (or twisted) the inner and sometimes outer axle. It is just too much strain to be put on those axle during cornering (full droop) or even worse during the landing after jump.

Whenever we land after jump, if we land (and mostly) front first, then the front tire will have sudden force that connected to the front axle, differential, transfer case --> rear axle --> transmission. This will cause eneven axle speed between front axle and rear axle, and ussually the front axle will snap first.

Also using independent front for four wheel drive, requires you to have a full width front axle width track because of the severe angle (of the differential to axle to outer knuckle) of travel on the front suspension (not to mention angle of steering from right to left lock to lock steering)

That is why front independent four wheel drive is mainly used on CLASS-1 TRUGGY such as HERBST newest four wheel (MASSIVE, Custom Built, undisclosed Center Diff)
Herbst-06.jpg

Others, just use independent but two wheel drive only.

However, our track conditions (summer and raining season) requires to have 4 wheel drive on the race trac.
We did try 2 wheel drive, and it is just not going to work at all...

1. How much ?, Actually not that much. I have all of the parts from my existing running race car, and I think it is about time that I convert the YJ Look into Pick-Up style Tubular Race Car, with a better performance.

Last edited:
  • Interior (picture taken 3 years ago, during built-up)​
  • Center, Bottom, Individual Coils for each Cylynder (Wasted Spark Mode)​
  • HALTECH ECU​
  • T-Case Shifter​
  • Transmission Shifter, Very short Throw​
  • Hydraulic Emergency Hand-Brake​
  • Sparco Steering WHeel​
  • Sparco Leather Off-Road Seat​
DSCF0055.jpg

Rear View,
  • Spare Tires (2)
  • Fuel Tank
  • Engine Radiator (in front of fuel tank)
  • Transmission Cooler
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • Optime Battery (2)
  • Sway-Bar (custom made)
  • Shocks & Coil Over
  • Hydraulic Bump-Stop
DSCF0044-1.jpg

Fullsizexj said:
So you do the trophy truck type racing it looks like, gotta be a blast
Somesort of it, YES...
The Indonesian Off-Road Association purchased the licenced of what used to be "SODA" in the US.
Then after a couple of race, they modified it to suit the local track, conditions of the race car, etc.
BUT, you are right, it is quite fast...

BrettM said:
as much as I like your stuff.... what's with the spoiler!?
Spare-1.jpg
  1. at more than 150 MPH, it will generate enough downforce so that when it jumps, it will land in a matter of time (within the race track course...),...
  2. to TEASE people like you to ask questions,.....
  3. COME ON BrettM, Like I told you before, I always wanted to have Jeep since I was 18, and now it is a little bit late. However, I still remember those days about things that I would like to buy when I just have the money..... Now that I do have some, I just bought to please myself.....

Back