• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New DD 4runner

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
first off y XJ aint going nowhere, it still is my wheeler, but i am going to do a mild build on this 4runner as wheeler for my girlfriend and buddies that dont wheel as well as replacing my DD camry.

traded my 1996 camry for a 86 4runner with thr 22re and the auto.
you have to manually shift out of gears.
i figure its either the throttle valve cable, tps, or solenoid in the tranny.

the tranny fluid was dirty and brown so i changed it.
oil was low filled it.
cleaned out the throttle body.
adjusted the throttle valve cable but i will adjust it agian tomorrow after i throw some transX in the tranny.
also threw new battery terminals on, the old ones where loose and crappy.

tomorrow after work i will :
change oil and filter
plugs, wires, belts, cap , rotor, o2 sensor, muffler, TPS, air filter, and go from there.

i also will do some work on the Xj, mostly brake work, threw some new calipers up front and pads, and now its a little squirrelly.

are all the 22res so gutless ? this thing is gutless

Yes they are Jon thats why I bought an XJ and the v6s are not much better and they have problems eating head gaskets another reason I didn't buy one. The best upgrade you can do is install gears. Yeah those 22res are gutless but they run forever and take alot of abuse plus when you blow it up just buy a long blokck for 800 bucks and call it good. It would have been better if you had the 5 spd. My freinds have these and beat the hell out of them they gear them to 5:13 wjth dana 60s and some have installed LS7 engines.

Yes gutless but will run forever. I have Two friends that flogged the sh!t out of there rigs and they both had over 300,000 on the clock.

I have another buddy that just rebuilt his and can get you guys together if you need help with any thing.

Josh

here is the weird thing, in idle and park it runs fine, throw it into drive and it idles like crap and runs even worse but it goes. i couldnt imagine going uphill in it.
thats why i love the xj.
i figure dual cases, rear locker, sliders, and 31s and call it done.

what the hell changes though when i go from park to drive to make it run so bad?

yah this thing is really really really gutless.
ive already replaced :

plugs
tps
air filter
oil
tranny fluid
battery terminals
throttle body gasket
cleaned grounds
cleaned throttle bosy best i can

have waiting here to go on soon:

plug wires
fuel filter
intake gasket set
muffler

picking up soon:
Coil temperature sending unit fuel filter Fuel pump cap and rotor
O2 sensor Seafoam the intake Tighten the throttle cable EGR!!!! Clean it first??? Thermostat Take the MAF apart and clean it Timing belt and more Distributor timing Valve adjustment tranny solenoid clean the intake(soak in solvent) replace injectors(five O motor sports)

here is the weird thing, in idle and park it runs fine, throw it into drive and it idles like crap and runs even worse but it goes. i couldnt imagine going uphill in it.
thats why i love the xj.
i figure dual cases, rear locker, sliders, and 31s and call it done.

what the hell changes though when i go from park to drive to make it run so bad?

yah this thing is really really really gutless.
ive already replaced :

plugs
tps
air filter
oil
tranny fluid
battery terminals
throttle body gasket
cleaned grounds
cleaned throttle bosy best i can

have waiting here to go on soon:

plug wires
fuel filter
intake gasket set
muffler

picking up soon:
Coil temperature sending unit fuel filter Fuel pump cap and rotor
O2 sensor Seafoam the intake Tighten the throttle cable EGR!!!! Clean it first??? Thermostat Take the MAF apart and clean it Timing belt and more Distributor timing Valve adjustment tranny solenoid clean the intake(soak in solvent) replace injectors(five O motor sports)

yah it has 309K

i would love to talk to your buddy josh, and get his opinion

lockers/gears and dual cases on 31s? no way Jon....33s atleast

no gears,
just dual up the cases since the other 4runner is cheap, swap in a manual tranny,
the damn thing is too gutless for the 30s it has,
so 31s will be pushing it too far as is. unless i get it running better.
i figure ill probably do the dual cases and weld up the rear
rock sliders and bumpers too.

Make sure the EGR isnt on or that the valve isnt leaking, make sure the valves are adjusted properly and tweaking the vane air flow meter helps. The springs gets weak and makes it run lean or the potentiometer inside goes bad. You get drop outs or to much resistance and it messes up the fuel trim. You can pop off the plastic cover (its RTVed on) and hold the revs at about 3 grand or when you hear misses in the exhaust and ever so slightly tweak the meter until the misses go away. Sounds ghetto but it works well. Dont over do it though, it should only need just a few teeth on the spring tension to correct it. Take it apart and you'll see how it all works. Just put a paint mark on the toothed wheel and the locking part so you have a reference of where you started. But make sure the valves are adjusted properly, I believe on the Catalyst sticker is the valve clearances and on that engine Im pretty certain its adjusted hot.

thanks alex!
vane ait flow meter?
whats that?
and how do i make sure the EGR isnt on?
so pop off the plastic cover to the EGR or the vane air flow meter?
and i need to adjust the valves too

The vane air flow meter takes the place of a MAF. Its that aluminum or metal piece with a glued on black plastic cover close to the air box. Basically there is a swinging door in there and as more air flows, the more the door opens. In other words your MAF meter works similar to a TPS. Under that cover is a coiled spring and it helps the door close when air flow is reduced. Those springs get weak or break. Its not really a "serviceable part" but I've had sucess on many Toyotas carefully taking that cover off and slightly adjusting it. Like I said you'll see a toothed wheel and a keeper once that cover is off and thats how you set the tension. Just make sure to put reference marks on it so you can set it back at its original position if needed. As for the EGR its towards the back on the engine. Id check and make sure the valve isnt sticking open, goose the throttle and look for movement or while its running unplug the one vacuum line that controls it and see if it drives better.

i pulled off the plenum yesterday and OMG! it was completely coated inside with over a 1/8" of sludge! i soaked it in gas, then scrubbed it with a bottle brush in and out, along with what i could reach of the intake. then soaked it numerous times in engine degreaser, and scrubbed, then 3 cans of carb cleaner and 2 cans of brake cleaner. the thing still has crud in it but it was a 90% improvement. a few of the vacuum lines were totally clogged.
i bought a gallon of lucas fuel injector cleaner and dumped half into the gas tank.
replaced thermostat and coolant temp sensor
pulled the interior out, and started troubleshooting the non working rear window, hot wired it to the battery and it worked. cleaned more grounds.

i tell ya what, if the spring in the MAF is slacking like the throttle cable then it will need adjustment, since adjusting the throttle cable helped tremendously.
i sanded down the interior and herculined the whole floor today since there was no carpet and it was all discolored and rustys with carpet bits.

coming soon :
o2 sensor
cleaning /adjusting the MAF
checking valves for proper adjustment
tranny solenoids
maybe swap injectors and replace fuel filter( that thing looks very hard to get to)
fix rear window
install a CD played and better speakers
fix the a/c

do you remember this is an XJ site? lol...im kiddin Jon.

wheres the pics?

sorry sean! yah its off topic for sure!
im mostly looking for info on why its gutless!

ill add some XJ info then
did new calipers on the XJ up front a week ago.
i need to make the stock rear tire carrier mounts in the body/bumper super beefed up for a 35/12.5/15

you really gonna weld up the spiders in your dd axle? I have a spool in me 44 and it sucks at low speeds, everybody stares at me going through parking lots cuz skirting around is soo flippen loud. I think i'm tearing up the parking lot in my apt. complex. Not to mention the rubber i'm tearing up at a very high rate.

an yes i agree w/ norcalchris dude, your nuts.

Thats what I was thinking but I'll admit I like Yotas also. I like how easy they are to stack the t-cases. I guess I'll start a Mustang thread and post up some pics of my ponies, lol.:eeks1:

as long as its a 1990s 5.0 Notch i don't mind haha..

Sexay!
download,id,36189.html

oh....dang!!! sorry Jon this is totally off topic!

Last edited:
its totally fine my entire thread is off topic except for the fact that im looking for guys with yota experience to help me figure out why its lacking guts.
i think i might dive into doing the timing belt next, but not before i check the valve lash,
it has a LC engineering cam in it, so i got the specs for valve adjustment.
i am too afraid to mess with the MAF , even though i pulled it apart , i put it right back together.

Back