NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old July 26th, 2020, 08:10
NAXJA Forum User

Dr. Dirt is in surgery

From another thread, I am refurbishing this, again. I originally built this 40yrs ago for a friend and about 10yrs ago purchased it for my son. 6yrs ago I built a 1955cc stroker for it and installed a small 32/36 Weber progressive on it to limit the HP. Now it's getting a 48 IDF to fully maximize the HP. Besides a lot of custom fitting I also had a lot of modifying to do. This is only the beginning as there are a lot more plans for it. Got the intake system all painted and started the re-do.

Old July 26th, 2020, 12:48
Stranger

Re: Dr. Dirt is in surgery

Very cool.

What year is that?

I see wide 5 wheels, but large tail lights.

It has been a number of decades, but Bugs are what I initially learned to wrench on. They always needed work. Always needed a valve adjustment, a brake adjustment and an oil change.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old July 26th, 2020, 14:39
NAXJA Forum User

It's a '68 body on a earlier pan with a '59 title(historic registration w/ no emisions). It's has 4 wheel racing disc brakes so no adjustment in 40 yrs! It has a half cage (welded in) and used to have a fuel cell inside. Like I said in my other post it was built as a pre-runner for the Mint 400 and other races, we used to race class 1 unlimited.
Old July 28th, 2020, 18:49
NAXJA Forum User

Today I worked on a relocation bracket for the coil.

This was before....

And this is where it was, I'll install it tomorrow when the paint is dry.

Old July 29th, 2020, 09:34
NAXJA Forum User

Got the coil mounted this morning. Now I'm waiting on the black braided hose and a #4AN to 10mm carb fitting (due today) so I can install the compact filter and get this engine running again and get on to the next project (transaxle gearing).

Old July 30th, 2020, 02:37
NAXJA Forum User

I got it done and running, now I need to figure out how to get my wide-band sensor on it (temporary)to begin the tuning.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 09:09
NAXJA Forum User

My O2 adapter isn't pretty but it gets the job done. I think there is a distributor problem so I'm looking in to that. The motor build only has about 1k miles on it and it has new big valve heads, a forged chromoly crankshaft, and chromoly H-beam rods.

Old August 3rd, 2020, 09:45
NAXJA Member #920

Is this thing fuel injected, or does this O2 sensor somehow adjust fueling through carburetors? I'm a little unclear on exactly what such a simple engine needs that sensor for...
Old August 3rd, 2020, 10:23
NAXJA Forum User

No it's carbureted, the meter is a portable Air/Fuel meter so that I can tune the jetting. The distributor has a advance issue and so since I don't even know anybody with distributor machine I won't even attempt to work on it. I have ordered a up-grade, the old ignition module was a Compufire and a Bosch 009 with a Bosch blue coil which isn't made any longer. What I have ordered is Empi's new version of the 009 and a Pertronix Ignitor III ignition module along with a Flame-thrower coil. The ignition module contains a rev limiter, self tuning dwell and timing. The coil is rated at 45K volts.
Old August 6th, 2020, 15:01
NAXJA Forum User

I just received my new collector, distributor, and ignition module( I receiver the coil yesterday). Now to get more done, probably send the collector out for re-chroming if I add a O2 bung. I am going to add a Supertrapp muffler to it.

Old August 11th, 2020, 06:33
NAXJA Forum User

I tig welded the bung in Sunday and dropped the new collector off yesterday for re-chroming. The Supertrapp isn't due in for a couple weeks so I'm working on other issues in the mean time. Still having tuning issues so I've ordered a bunch of jets, emulsion tubes, and I'm trying to get a hold of some smaller venturis.
Old August 13th, 2020, 09:33
NAXJA Forum User

I don't usually deal outside the states, but the venturis were only available from Prague,Czech !!! All I have to do now is wait for everything to get here.
Old August 19th, 2020, 18:01
NAXJA Forum User

Parts are starting to arrive so I started with the new battery cables, I will have to finish them in the car. I'm using a hydraulic press so I know the connections are good along with sealing heat shrink.

Old August 21st, 2020, 06:42
NAXJA Forum User

Yesterday I received the venturis and got all the jets, emulsion tubes changed out. The venturis looked great and I'm considering some 34's, but I won't know that until I can put my AFR meter on it. It's running a lot better but I'm still waiting on the collector from the chrome shop and the Supertrapp before I can get started on fine tuning. In the mean time I'll be working on all the new electrical wiring to replace the 60yr old factory stuff.

Old August 27th, 2020, 11:35
NAXJA Forum User

Got my collector back from the chrome platers, it's done right this time! Super-trapp is due in any time and I'll polish it as needed.