NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee > ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004) Technical forum for the classic ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees.

Old February 26th, 2020, 17:07
NAXJA Forum User

1996 ZJ stalling and dying problem

So I have a 1996 ZJ 4.0 I6, couple weeks ago I noticed it starting to "bog" down randomly for a week or 2 and now it will die randomly. I've been told possible Crank sensor (don't think it is because, it doesn't have the same symptoms has it had 3 years prior when I had it swapped), ignition coil, or fuel filter could be causing it. Now another buddy was looking at it and noticed this thing "ticking" after the Jeep warmed up for a few seconds, and he believes I might be losing pressure somewhere. So my question is what is this exactly, is it normal for it to "tick" and any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/vkFoIWt

Thanks in advance
Old February 28th, 2020, 09:09
NAXJA Member #120

Re: 1996 ZJ stalling and dying problem

It's not a crank sensor, it wouldn't run at all if that wasn't working.

The IAC can get dirty and or worn out, and cause it to die at idle.

4.0's are notorious for a tick, but if it gets worse it could be a loose or broken flex plate and at worst a broken piston skirt.

I would check/clean/replace the IAC. You could also do a compression check to see if there's anything going on with the cylinders as far a losing pressure.

I've had more fuel pumps go out with the pump loosing pressure between starts and taking a couple of times to start rather than it quit while running...but anything is possible. I believe that the "fuel filter" is internal to the fuel pump.

mac 'let us know what you find out' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
Old February 28th, 2020, 23:43
NAXJA Forum User

That is not entirely true of the CPS. They can experience thermal failure.
In my '00 XJ it would start right up but then stall when it reached operating temperature.
And stall like you shut the key off. No codes or pending codes either.
When it first started doing it the Jeep would start right back up. Might stall again or maybe I would get to where I was going. But after about a week it got worse.

As far as the ticking goes that picture you showed is your purge solenoid. It is supposed to tick so.........
Old March 4th, 2020, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

So here's and update: Changed the fuel filter, and nothing changed, cleaned out the throttle body and cleaned the IAC as well. After cleaning, and changing the fuel filter, driving it felt a lot better. After I cleaned the throttle body, it ran great while i let it idle in the driveway for 30 min, drove it 2 miles around and nothing. Later that night went to the store about 5 mile away, still nothing until I returned to my Jeep and it cranked over, started and died instantly, crank again, started and died instantly. Give it 5 min, started it up and made it home, while it bogged on me a few times...
Old August 12th, 2020, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

1996 ZJ stalling and dying problem

4.0ís are notorious for cooking the coil mounted to the engine block. When they go, no codes, just wonít crank. You might be in the leading edge of its death.

Also, how old is your catalytic converter? You could be seeing enough bad stuff come through that the O2 sensor is cutting the fuel back too lean.

Have also seen weird O2 failures that didnít throw codes but shut down the XJ.

Iíd start with a new coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 15th, 2020, 10:06
NAXJA Member # 101

ZJ's are also notorious for stalling with loose connection at the ECU. Start it up and just wiggle it a little bit to test.. bumps on the road can cause this stalling if loose. Cheap fix is remove, dielectric grease and a few zip ties pulling connector tight.

I'd second the cat recommendation also.

My 98 had a stalling issue once, turned out to be ground to body at inner fender by battery.