• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3d Printer

Well, that depends. Are your pictures of a grey circle with a white line going through it?

Ohh i thought using google photos was too good to be true. I can see them but it may be because I am signed in. I'll upload them to my webserver.

Here are the photos that show from CAD through installed.

CAD:
cadPowerPlate.png

Printed:
plateprinted.jpg

Screwed in:
plateinstalled.jpg

Dash panel installed:
platewmolding.jpg

I hope these show up, I would of edited the other posts but it would seem I can no longer edit them.

-Boot

Second set shows up.

Nice work.

I think you could probably sell those in black, as they are, just to let folks locate holes as they need. I know that would certainly give me a leg up over what I have now as a starting point.

But what I really want is four recessed holes for the Powerwerx outlets.

Shall I get you some dimensions on those?

Second set shows up.

Nice work.

I think you could probably sell those in black, as they are, just to let folks locate holes as they need. I know that would certainly give me a leg up over what I have now as a starting point.

But what I really want is four recessed holes for the Powerwerx outlets.

Shall I get you some dimensions on those?

Yeah. I just did it in orange because I had a couple rolls of it. I wanted to check the fit of the mounting points. I can add any holes that are needed now easy. I've got black and a few other colors.

Yeah if you want to give me the dimensions of the plug I could add them for ya. I see they sell a 1 1/8" hole saw so that covers that. But the collars are what will determine the spacing. I like the idea of those plugs and I may just pick up a couple and make me one too.

-Boot

Yup, you got pics. That's a clean replacement panel. It's almost like it grew that way.
:D

Seriously, though, the OEM fitment is way cool.

Dimensions are all over the map on these things... Sheesh.

I have a bunch of the Powerwerx outlets in USB, cigarette lighter and Anderson connector configurations, plus a Blue Sea USB of the same sort, plus a couple of Powerwerx mounting panels with the recessed holes. This should represent a decent sample of what is out there.

Looking at the outlets, the body diameters run from 1.12" to 1.13" for the Powerwerx pieces, and the Blue Sea is at 1.108".

The flange diameters run from 1.432" to 1.45" for the Powerwerx pieces and 1.382" for the Blue Sea.

The flange thicknesses run from 0.064" to 0.1015" for the Powerwerx pieces and 0.0730" for the Blue Sea.

Then, looking at the Powerwerx mounting panels, the holes (which are not exactly round) range from 1.140" to 1.169", the flange recesses range from 1.464" to 1.4935" in diameter and 0.1215" to 0.1360" in depth. Note that the depth measurement is intended to include the dust cover, and I don't see the dust covers as being viable in the tight space afforded by the XJ dash bezel.

I would be inclined to go with hole diameters of about 1.15" and flange recesses of 1.47" diameter and 0.11" deep. Know that the dash bezel is going to overlap the outer edges of the flanges, but I don't think that will make a functional difference.

very cool ! if I still had a renix, I would buy one of these !

System sentry, which was problematic and scrapped pretty quickly. Nothing else has gone in that spot since.

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

Wow look at that! I kinda want one now. But it is probably more of a hassle than it is worth. I'll probably just stick a gauge there. Maybe on board air or dual battery indication and controls. There is a lot of room behind the panel.

System sentry, which was problematic and scrapped pretty quickly. Nothing else has gone in that spot since.

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

Mid 80s; what could go wrong?

Just ask Crist Clapper.

It looked like he was trying to make one of those work.

Given the lengths he has gone to elsewhere on his build I expect he will persevere and make it happen. And I expect he will be able to tell you firsthand about many of the potential failure modes.

Oh, and BTW, I have my new dash panel pieces in hand. Exactly what I wanted. I will torture everyone with pics once I get a chance.

Re: 3d Printer--Teaser Pic

Here is what Boot printed out for me:

CigLighterUpgrade15OPT.jpg

Not a completed install yet. I still have wiring to take care of. Some details still to be finalized. But I am happy with the result thus far.

I will post up more details once I get time to finish the job.

Re: 3d Printer--Teaser Pic

Here is what Boot printed out for me:

Not a completed install yet. I still have wiring to take care of. Some details still to be finalized. But I am happy with the result thus far.

I will post up more details once I get time to finish the job.

Looking good! :cheers:

I am still amazed all of that fits in there! :worship:

Hey Tom, you forgot Cat-6 jacks.

Does it help any if there is a Cat-5 in the console?

Well, it does mean you'll want the jacks to be Cat-5 then.

Back