• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro-Assist 44

Wil Badger

NAXJA Forum User
well the hydro-assist on my 44 is done so i thought i would share.its a fullsize uncut 44 with factory xj pitman arm.before this i had longer highsteer arms on it to clear the diff cover this caused it to lose some of the turning radius that the axle allowed.in the change over to hydro the highsteers where changed to a shorter one on the passenger side that matched the factory arm cast on the knuckle.now that i shortened the arm it has returned full use of the axles turning radius.i still need to get a matching arm for the drivers side to help in taking off some of the load caused by the spacers to raise the tie rod high enough to clear the diff cover.

PB100007.sized.jpg

PB100008.sized.jpg

PB100006.sized.jpg

PB100012.sized.jpg

the ram,pump,reservoir,and mount are from PSC

assistW-lrg.jpg

PB100009.sized.jpg

PB100010.sized.jpg

PB100011.sized.jpg

the brackets for the pump swing the pump a little more out toward the airbox location.i found it easier to just change to a cone filter.the belt changes to a longer belt(part number 6PK2730)

How much was the PSC kit? Looks good, but the mounting tab to the tie rod looks like it could break off. You might want to run 2 tabs and then run the ram through that with a bolt. I run a Surplus Ram with my stock pump and resv. and it's awesome. I have no problem turning locked and aired down 37's. Sorry I don't have a better pic at the moment.:

Troy

Last edited:
it is double tabbed

PSC's is 1,050 for everything including a ported box,the pump is a higher pressure pump so at low rpms it has full power.it comes with a bracket to mount the reservoir back off the master cylinder mounting bolts.i had my box ported locally so i just bought the rest of their stuff not the full kit.made it easy and it was all bolt in as far as the pump and reservoir go.the ram was mounted into my tracbar brace.when i had that brace built i knew this was coming so it was ready to bolt in there as well.just had to bent two tabs,cut a new tierod,weld on the tabs, get some hiems ,and cut a new draglink

Last edited:
seems to me you would want that ram a little more inline with the tie rod looks liek it is pushing up and out on the rod, not good in my opinion

bj-666 said:
seems to me you would want that ram a little more inline with the tie rod looks liek it is pushing up and out on the rod, not good in my opinion

I agree but I have seen very few people actually do it that way (BrettM did)

he is also using leafs.is he even running a tracbar on the front anymore?if he's not then that would explain why he could .with coils,tracbar mount,link mounts,and steering it gets a bit tight in there.with leafs it opens up a lot of room for getting it straight to the tie rod

Wil Badger said:
he is also using leafs.is he even running a tracbar on the front anymore?if he's not then that would explain why he could .with coils,tracbar mount,link mounts,and steering it gets a bit tight in there.with leafs it opens up a lot of room for getting it straight to the tie rod

True. I am in the same predicament you are with little option to get it perfectly straight unless I place it under my tie rod (I do have hi-steer though).

i didn't like the under idea.i drag those tubes across enough things i didn't want to have the possibilty to hit that ram thats way i put it behind

Back