• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyota Tundra??!!

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone own/sell/use/build one of them?? I hear that there V8s are clean, strong, reliable, and SMALL. I don't know anyhting bout' them and maybe you guys can give me info on it?
MATT

My brother in law bought a 2WD standard cab back when they first came out (V6/auto) and it was very smooth, but not a lot of gusto. It was too weak to tug his horse trailer, and too small for 3 adults for more than a short trip.

He also bought a new 4x4 4Runner (in 94) and it was too small and nice to be a land surveyors rig...traded that in on a Jetta and bought a used Suburban.

I have no idea how the new V8 models are...probably smooth as silk and reliable as sunrise, but w/o a lot of gusto if heavy towing is your plan. Got TRD?

A friend of mine had a 2000 model. It was very very nice. Had good pull......BUT, It flipped way too easily. Yes, thats right, we were driving down the road ( a little slick, but not that bad) dont know exactly what happened, but we did a 180, the rear right tire popped which caused the bed to hit the ground, we did a double flip and skid 175 feet. luckily no one was hurt, so I can honestly say they are pretty safe. Check on the year you are planning on getting, I heard there was similar problem to the early XJ ABS problem or something with the brakes. Hope this helps.
ps, not trying to bash the tundra or anything, it was very nice and stron, but I wont buy one after the accident.

So not a great tow rig? Thats ok! I just want the motor!:eek: How much space did it take up under the hood? I heard that the engine wire harness was VERY small and clean. Trying to think of a good motor canidate to go into a MJ/XJ.
MATT

honestly, i dont know about the engine size. But, the v8 was pretty big if I remember correctly (was last october). Have you tried looking at a dealership just to look at the engine?

Yea I have tried. But I tend to be EXTREMLY busy. Not sure how between 40 hours of school and 40 hours of work. But I do have a day off here. I will go there!
THANKS!!

MATT

I had a 2002 V8 Limited 4x4. Tons of pulling power. I could almost spin through 1st. I believe it was rated to pull 7200 lbs. Thats plenty and I'm sure if you can get one in a cherokee It would be plenty. Like to see pics. Doubt theres any adapters out there yet.
Good Luck

Back