• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All my ring gear bolts fell out

Ok, so 4 wheel parts finally responded, and told me to just call the store for service. I found that new ring gear bolts solved my issue. Apparently the thread in the ring gear are still usable. I used the 27200 Permatex red thread locker and torqued to 50 ft-lbs (I didnt want to strip out the holes)

Drove the Jeep around the block and on the freeway. It seems fine now with the new ring gear bolts. So ghetto. I really can't believe that I was driving this heavy little Jeep with so little holding the ring gear in there! My last weighing of the Jeep was 4825 lbs with 1/8 tank of fuel.

I'm tempted to check the front differential also. Luckily I have a lockout hub conversion, so it isn't really a big deal, but when I go 4 wheeling I'd prefer to not worry about this stuff.

Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions, happy trails!

Hey All!

So, after driving about 2,900 miles on the Jeep, I decided to pull the cover on the rear end. All the bolts on the ring gear were about finger tight. Seems that the ring gear threads were not good enough. Also, I tried to torque a new bolt into the ring gear and it started stripping at about 30 ft-lbs. This is my plan, and I sure many will laugh or shake their heads. I want to torque all the bolts down enough to keep the ring gear seated to the carrier, then weld it to the carrier. There's a beautiful gap to fill in weld. Please, tell me how bad this idea is. I'm adventurous. Bottom line, if I have to replace the ring gear (which I do), I want to upgrade to something bigger. This way I can still use the 8.25 for a while. Thoughts?

Helicoils?

dont over heat the gear, else it will loose its needed hardness. warping is to be avoided.

a used junk yard carrier is a better option me thinks

then again I heard a broken u joint that lost its roller pins can have finishing nails used as roller replacements, for a while.

dont over heat the gear, else it will loose its needed hardness. warping is to be avoided.

a used junk yard carrier is a better option me thinks

then again I heard a broken u joint that lost its roller pins can have finishing nails used as roller replacements, for a while.

I've heard of some crazy crap....but that one's OUT there......

Back