• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets talk tents

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I in the past I had a great 4 person tent for car camping. Then I upgraded to a big clunker of a tent for 10 to 12 people, so I ended up selling that 4 person tent. Then I started doing more back packing and got a pack packing tent that’s perfect for that, but got rid of that big one. Now I’m down to just the back packing one. There are so many brands out there for car camping tents then say 15 years ago or so when I had my last great 4 person one. Checking out all this tents and OMG they are so expensive just for a tent? What is the deal they all have some new secrete one of a kind not to leak and special material for 300 to 600 bucks for a 3 to 4 person tent? They better come with a happy ending and set them selves up for that much money.

Looking at just a Coleman right now found a few I like for under 100 bucks. I’ve used Coleman tents in the past with little to no problems out side of poles maybe. What all do you have/use and do you like it pros cons of what you have.
Keep in mind this is car camping pull up to site unload set up tear down load back up leave. Not having to hike this in or anything. Looking at me the GF and our two dogs for the most part.

Craigslist my friend! Buy one someone else used once. Just take the time to pull it out and check it over.

I'm going to go hit up the Coleman store after work and then sportsmans wharehouse

I have two dogs I need to get them used to a tent and a GF thats never "really" camped before. She keeps talking about air beds and cots.

I'm like this isn't the hilton it's camping. they call it roughing it for a reason.

Last edited:
I've heard coleman has really stepped up the quility and that old one I had was great. The pole that I broke was my own fault when putting it in storage one time. I like alot of there exp stuff.

I just don't have the cash for a 300 some tent nor really want to spend that much.

If you want her to camp more than once, buy an air mattress. If you make it comfy for her good things may come your way, if you know what I mean...

I had this Coleman. Liked it a lot but it was getting old and was no longer waterproof. screen room in the front/2 rooms in the back just big enough for a queen size mattress ea.
It was a HOT tent though, no air flow without the windows and doors open.
Was gonna cut out the center divider and make 1 room in the back but ended up selling it due to the loss of waterproofing and wanted one that was a little easier/faster set-up.
ColemanTent2.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v455/drifto77/Tent/ <-- more pics

Now I have this one from Wally World.
I like it but I can only stand up in the middle of it without bending over. (iam 6' 2")
Was around 70 bucks. (?)
I do miss having a screen room and the dogs think the shoe pockets are their own personal door way. (zipps from the inside & outside)
You can leave the rainfly off and look thru the screen on top to see the stars.
tentA.jpg

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/whitecherokee/Tent/ <-- more pics
Coleman makes one like it too with a little more rainfly coverage on the windows on each end.

BTW....
an air mattress is nice.
lets_do_it_wild.gif

Last edited:
I have a Kelty Gunnison 4 that I really like. Cost me just under 200 from my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Very well-made, durable, easy to set up, and well ventilated. It can be a little awkward getting in and out of it though if you don't stake the rain fly properly. The first time I used it was a week ago at Bonnaroo for 4 days. A massive rainstorm came during the night and absolutely no water got in. Not alot of condensation build up inside either. I would take a look at the Kelty Grand Mesa 4 as well. I think I would have rather gone with that one since it looks easier to get in and out of...

I might have found the tent that will work great for me. 4 person 7x7 so 2 people and two dogs + gear should work fine. Just a two pole standing with a nice rain fly. Guy said it takes 5 min to set up with two people and a few extra min if your doing it yourself. Personal sale so I’m going to go check it out after work. Said he would show me how easy it is to set up and it’s seemed sealed and only used 6 times over 2 years. He took it camping 3 times the last 2 summers. Bought a pop up camper so he is going to sell maybe trade it for an older stove I have that he wants.

I hate air mattresses if they get cold it’s terrible on your back. Cabalas has some nice large two person somewhat like thermo rest. I have two but one is a normal size and the other is a smaller back packing one. Might have to invest in that. Even if as planned down the road to get a pop up I could still use it on the mattress in that thing.

That’s another reason I don’t want to go too expensive is that I do plan on getting a smaller pop up camper so 400 bucks for a tent I might only use 3 to 6 times tell next summer isn’t the best move to make.

got one made by camel...easiest thing in the world to put up...no staking poles. Just hold it by the top and it just kind of unfolds itself and you snap the arms together. Had it for many years and still to this day using it.

Back