• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

k&n intakes

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
Is the k&n intake kit worth $240? I want to get a better intake but I seem to think the k&n isn't worth this much. If I just put a cone k&n on my stock intake tube would I get the same gains as the k&n kit?

For those of you that have the kit what kind of gains did you get out of it? I know it won't be wheelie bar gains but just trying to justify spending $240, or should I go with a diff intake?

thanks

mike

I pesonally think its not worth it, just get a 3 inch PVC pipe and 6X9 inch K&N CONE filter, performance wise i noticed no gains, since then i have adapted my big cone into a ZJ air box, it works both as a cold air intake & is a much better filter then stock,

Ravi

To get any improvement you need to do both the intake side AND the exhaust side, anything else is a waste of money. I run a K&N flat filter, put it back in last week and noticed no improvement at all except that it is cleanable and reusable. I generally alternate between a factory paper and the K&N but noticed a build up of small particles in the OEM air tube going to the throttle body. In 180,000mi + I never paid attention to that tube till someone mentioned it so I switched to the paper. Now that I'm back to the K&N I want to see if that build up comes back.
Oh, it is a bit noiser.

mikie2084 said:
Is the k&n intake kit worth $240? I want to get a better intake but I seem to think the k&n isn't worth this much. If I just put a cone k&n on my stock intake tube would I get the same gains as the k&n kit?

For those of you that have the kit what kind of gains did you get out of it? I know it won't be wheelie bar gains but just trying to justify spending $240, or should I go with a diff intake?
thanks

mike

Make your own; $240 on an intake that'll yield ~5hp doesn't make any sense at all. My homebrew FIPK cost me $60 in materials (including $48 for the filter) and it works great.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/FIPK.html

No i have one and have seen homebrewed ones that were better. save the money and do it yourself.

mikie2084 said:

thanks

mike

You won't see any significant gains unless you open up the exhaust stream as well. Remember an engine is just an air pump. You can try pull all the air you want into it, but if the exhaust is still restrictive, what's the point?

Get yourself a 2.5" pipe and a good muffler behind the cat first (a high flow cat helps too :D).

My $0.02

Rock On!

Steve

Try other brands?

If you're bent on buying one, there are other brands out there that are much cheaper (cool blue?, procomp, etc.). Look around. I've seen them in the $140-150 range (not K&N). There can't be much difference between the brands, since there's not a lot of rocket science engineering in their design.

Try XJ Armor. They have an air tube for $35. Hook that up and put a cone filter on it and your set. They also have installation instructions on their site so you can see what you are getting into. Really a very simple installation.

http://www.xj-armor.com/

90red

I went with a rustys airtube (i think like $30) and an S+B intense performance air filter (like K&N)

www.rustysoffroad.com

http://www.intenseperformance.com/welcome.html

I have this setup, coupled with a high flow stainless cat (carsound) and a borla catback stainless exhaust (2.5")

I am VERY satisfied with this combination intake/exhaust. the 4.0 runs and SOUNDS so much better, more power and better mileage (IF you arent too heavy on the gas--cuz with the new found power/sound, you'll want to drive it a bit harder)<-i did anyway! ;)

CaptTrev

If you absolutely must run a wetted gause filter...at least get a prefilter for it..and maintain it religiously or your engine will bore it's self out for you.....sooner.

If you absolutely must run a wetted gause filter...at least get a prefilter for it..and maintain it religiously or your engine will bore it's self out for you.....sooner.

What adverse affects will the wetted gauze filter have on an engine? Why do you say the engine will bore itself out for you?

90red

Back