• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Cowl Air Intake

nwautoxer

NAXJA Forum User
After reading threads on THOR's, Spectre's, and homebrew cowl air intakes, I was thinking about buildiing my own system. Then, I found that Summit Racing has the Spectre 9948 system for a price ($199.99) that is a lot less than Spectre's direct price ($333.99) and competitive with the price of the THOR system ($175).
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9948/

I decided to try the Spectre system and ordered one from Summit a few minutes ago. Their customer service rep verified the price and that this is the kit that fits the XJ. He also said this is an item that they don't stock and so it takes a couple of weeks before its delivered. My delivered price is $211.94. If you are interested in this system the price is probably as good as it gets.

That's a waste, IMO. Mine was under $15.

I made one with pvc, and it looks great, and works awesome.

3 inch pvc, 2 bends, and an extra XJ intake tube placed in the firewall.
jeeeeep008.jpg

jeeeeep009.jpg

@srmitchell - You did do a really nice job, but one of the really appealing things about this was modification to me, is the removal of the factory airbox.

Word. I used a second xj intake tube. It has a flange. It plugs right into the firewall if you cut it right.

In that case, yeah, check out eric's.

If you get a stock TJ airtube you can use that to adapt to your stock air tube and K&N filter to do the cowl intake. You have to cut both ends of the TJ tube and heat one end to get it to fit over the TB again but it works great, loud as hell inside but works really well. I'm still perfecting the connection of the two tubes by the firewall to get a better seal but you can get the gist of it in the pic below.

DSC08609.jpg

What I did with the extra room was relocate the washer bottle inside the fenderwell using a ZJ bottle. Everything bolted right up except I had swap over the low washer fluid sensor so the light would stay off, you can see the sensor pretty clearly on the front of the tank. These are both kind of "first looks" as I haven't been able to do full write ups on them yet but I think they came out awesome. I got the TJ tube for free from a TJ guy who upgrade his intake so the whole job cost me like $40. I found the washer tank on Jeepforum for $35 too.

Last edited:
So what if you have a RENIX TB? There is a port on top of the TB with a hole for the IAC, also the corresponding rubber intake hose has a matching portion to allow space over that port. If you rotate the hose around to make it face the Cowl I wonder if there will still be enough space to allow air to the IAC valve. Anybody know anything about this?

Back