• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange starting/no start problem - ECU questions - video

theallpowerfulme

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with no modifications to the drivetrain. I recently experienced a no start issue in which the engine would turn over and never make an attempt to fire. The following were replaced: crankshaft position sensor, dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires, TPS, IAC all with no change in the problem. I then replaced the ECU (top picture below) with one from a '97 (second pic below). The jeep fired right up, but ran like it had a cylinder or two misfiring. This would not change with throttle position. Noticing that all numbers on the ecu were different, I assumed a different year model my have different settings so I bought another 96 ecu (third pic below). On the 96 ecu, one of the numbers is the same as the original that came in my jeep, but all the other numbers are different. After installing the ecu, the jeep fired right up and ran great on several occasions. Then, it would fire up, but not idle. Now, it tries to fire... but rarely runs (note this is different than the original problem in that it actually tries to run, but doesnt). It will start on occasion and idle for about 1 min, but them usually dies on it's own (I am giving it zero throttle position during this). I can put the '97 in it and it will fire right up, but again, will run like it has a misfire on two or more cylinders. Help a noob out! TIA! :cheers2:

EDIT: I'd like to add that there is no CEL during any of this. Except the '97 which has a CEL and the gen light on. :confused:

16ibd3c.jpg

15ygit.jpg

rhpeg5.jpg

***VIDEO ADDED***

Here is the starting/idle issue with the 1997 ecu:
1997 ECU starting on Vimeo

Here is the no start issue with the replacement 1996 ecu:
1996 ECU starting on Vimeo

Last edited:
I have a 96 M/T and had to use a 97 M/T pcm as a back-up when I blew the original pcm(heater wire on o2 sensor harness kissed the Borla and blew the pcm). I too had the check engine light(though no codes stored)and the gen light was like 1/4 on when I used the 97 pcm, so there are definitely harness differences between the 96 and 97 obd2 systems(I haven't verified by fsms yet, but the question has arisen multiple times if all obd2 pcms are swappable, so I'll do my homework and report back w/ the differences). I'm inclined to say use 96 pcms for 96s and 97-99 are interchangeable and 99.5-01s are interchangeable. I'm curious if the replacement 96 would work great again if you disco'd and reco'd power to it and then once it relearned parameters, acted up again. Basically people are going to recommend that you clean and tighten your grounds and disco and reco all sensors.

I'd look at a couple of options....

1. Start your own testing to see whether you have a poor spark or a marginal fuel or even something as simple as a marginal battery (yes, it can happen and be strong enough to start the engine). Visually check spark on a few cylinders, get a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and watch it, etc.

2. Get it on an engine analyzer to get some higher tech help here.....

I have a 96 M/T and had to use a 97 M/T pcm as a back-up when I blew the original pcm(heater wire on o2 sensor harness kissed the Borla and blew the pcm). I too had the check engine light(though no codes stored)and the gen light was like 1/4 on when I used the 97 pcm, so there are definitely harness differences between the 96 and 97 obd2 systems(I haven't verified by fsms yet, but the question has arisen multiple times if all obd2 pcms are swappable, so I'll do my homework and report back w/ the differences). I'm inclined to say use 96 pcms for 96s and 97-99 are interchangeable and 99.5-01s are interchangeable. I'm curious if the replacement 96 would work great again if you disco'd and reco'd power to it and then once it relearned parameters, acted up again. Basically people are going to recommend that you clean and tighten your grounds and disco and reco all sensors.

You are the third person that has talked about the O2 sensor, was it the upstream that gave you problems?

I'd look at a couple of options....

1. Start your own testing to see whether you have a poor spark or a marginal fuel or even something as simple as a marginal battery (yes, it can happen and be strong enough to start the engine). Visually check spark on a few cylinders, get a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and watch it, etc.

2. Get it on an engine analyzer to get some higher tech help here.....

1. I have spark, seems to be in the proper intervals. Also fuel pressure was tested and is a hair under 40psi. Battery was load tested and is A-OK

2. With the replacement 96 ecu there are no codes or CEL, on the 97 there is a CEL but no codes. I do not have a DRB.

Fuel pressure is supposed to 49psi+/-a couple. If you're getting 40 at idle and then when you put a load on it and it drops even more. . .maybe that's why it isn't running right. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Might be time to drop the tank and inspect hoses and filter sock on pump too. Last week I had to change out the clogged external fuel filter on my buddy's 96: the pump couldn't push the amount of gas through the filter that it wanted to, so the hose was leaking. Took off the filter and held it vertical and saw all the nice rusty crud that came out.

How long did you drive it with the replacement 96 ECU? I am kind of new to the XJ seen, but have been working on vehicles most of my life. I know that on most vehicles, when you replace a computer, it will be in learn mode for at least 3 drive cycles. A drive cycle is from cold to normal operating temperature. Just a thought.

Fuel pressure is supposed to 49psi+/-a couple. If you're getting 40 at idle and then when you put a load on it and it drops even more. . .maybe that's why it isn't running right. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Might be time to drop the tank and inspect hoses and filter sock on pump too. Last week I had to change out the clogged external fuel filter on my buddy's 96: the pump couldn't push the amount of gas through the filter that it wanted to, so the hose was leaking. Took off the filter and held it vertical and saw all the nice rusty crud that came out.

Well it was a hair under 40 and fluctuating while starting. It never actually ran. I will pull the pump and check that stuff out.

How long did you drive it with the replacement 96 ECU? I am kind of new to the XJ seen, but have been working on vehicles most of my life. I know that on most vehicles, when you replace a computer, it will be in learn mode for at least 3 drive cycles. A drive cycle is from cold to normal operating temperature. Just a thought.

Starting has been attempted with the new 96 ecu a hundred times. It rarely starts and runs, but when it does, it dies quickly.

Back