• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails.....

mattyj

NAXJA Forum User
So it looks as though Cal and I will be organising runs this year. Im curious as to what you guys want to run?

Right now this what we're thinking.

Rigs for any runs should have tow/recovery points front and rear.

Easy/Scenic - good for stockers or the like. Explore some of what Johnson Valley has to offer. A few whoops, a little sand and some easy rocks.

Moderate - small lift and 31's or larger tires recommended. At least 1 traction aid (LSD or Locker) recommended. Rock rails recommended. Probably Tackhammer or Lower Big Johnson if minimum rig requirements are all met.

Mod/Hard - 33's or larger tires with 2 lockers or 35's and 1 locker required. Upgraded steering recommended. All necessary armour, skids, rock rails etc. Probably run Aftershock or Clawhammer.

Hard - 35's or larger tires, 2 lockers, NO spicer shafts, NO stock steering, Winch required, All Skids, rock rails bla bla
Depends on the build of rigs that show for this one- either Sledge, Jack, Wrecking ball, Outer Limits etc

So post up with questions or suggestions.

Hard - 35's or larger tires, 2 lockers, NO spicer shafts, NO stock steering, Winch required, All Skids, rock rails bla bla
Depends on the build of rigs that show for this one- either Sledge, Jack, Wrecking ball, Outer Limits etc

So post up with questions or suggestions.

I think the no spicer shafts and no stock steering might be over the top.
Even Rick can run Sludge on 33"s.

MCAGCCStudyArea03.jpg

I think the no spicer shafts and no stock steering might be over the top.
Even Rick can run Sludge on 33"s.

Maybe i should of said no spicer D30 shafts with 35's. And as you know, the stock XJ tierod is good for about 1 good hit before it folds like a pretzel.

There is plenty of stuff for all rigs out there.

:D

So true, there is so much cool stuff to check out in JV!!!! Even with a stock rig! The Moderate run will be fun and if you want to take some harder lines on Tackhammer or Lower Big Johnson there is always big rocks to get your self stuck on!

Big Johnson:
DSC_0091.jpg

Tack Hammer:
JV06_0627.jpg

Sun rise on Means is always something to see:
DSC_0017.jpg

Lots of roads to explore:
DSC_0120.jpg

Hills to drive:
DSC_0122.jpg

Big Sand Dunes to play on:
JV06_0709.jpg

Maybe Bullfrog is an option for the Moderate run, if there is enough people that want to do it.

Only down side is its 25-30 miles away from the lake bed, but its a fun trail.

Do you think the quickest way is to head out Old Woman Springs Road (assuming everyone has a street legal rig)?

Do you think the quickest way is to head out Old Woman Springs Road (assuming everyone has a street legal rig)?

Definately take the road.

I would say it'll be around 35 or so miles from the lake bed to the trail head.

Have you run it before Stephan?

Bullfrog's a great trail!! That was the main run for SoCalXJ's Jambo last spring. I only took bypasses & then parked my XJ to ride bitch (thanks, Andy!) and/or walk for a lot of it, but that's because of my limitations with 3" lift, 235/75/15's and only an 8.25 LSD.

It's a very cool trail, and worth the drive out there IMHO. I think it'd be a very fun option for the Moderate run. Good variety of terrain, and nice scenery. The epic moment is when you look up at a ridge & realize why it's called Bullfrog.

But this time around I'll probably run something I can drive my own junk on, just because I want to drive (unless you're willing to loan out your buggy again, Dave? :loveu: )

Matty's trail 'requirements' are just working suggestions. If you show up with a built rig, some experiance, stock steering and a spare I doubt anyone would even consider turning you away. Maybe "shafts and steering appropriate to your build" would be better wording, but generally you guys get the idea.

That said, goatfest is and always has been about getting new people onto the big rocks, so bring it on and see what works that day.

Matty and I will be leading trails that day, but I could use 1-2 more trail leads.

I believe carol offered to take some stockers exploring. Does someone on a full body and 35's want to lead claw or bullfrog?

Back